Front axle shaft u joint mixup????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Front axle shaft u joint mixup?????

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Front axle shaft u joint mixup?????

Ok so I busted a u joint in my front Dana 30 and trashed the inner shaft. So I bought a new inner from rock auto. The only place i could find one for for less than the price of the whole assembly. SO i got a new u joint fot it. And it is a 1310-WJ style with 1-1/16 (1.063)caps. Which is what my old one is. Now the new shaft has 1-1/8 (1.188) diameter holes. So I went to local store thinking I could but a different joint and adapt it, and all I could find with the larger cap size also had a larger inner cap diameter. So I called rockauto and they said that they "assume" its a defect and there for offered to replace it along with the 1 week each way shipping that it would require. The only problem is is that they cannot verify that their other shafts are what I need. Im already 2 weeks without getting dirty and dont want to wait 2 more to find out that all the parts they have wont fit.

So does anyone have any insight on this about a u joint with caps that fit the smaller inside and larger outside diameter. Or maybe another plac e to buy a shaft for it. I can not afford a 350$ assembly right now. For that price i could buy a dana 44. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My jeep looks pathetic right now blocking the garage whith one side in the air all dissassembled.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.