Front Axle Re-build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Front Axle Re-build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
davistroy

Front Axle Re-build

I have my front diff taken apart (D-25 in a 1953 M38A1 - same as CJ5) and have some questions as I am contemplating cleaning and re-build. I have the knuckles off, the driveshafts out, the diff carrier out (not taken apart), the pinion out (not taken apart). I've left the knuckle bearing cups in and the pinion cups in as they all look in good shape. I did the disassembly to inspect everything and replace old leaky seals (inner axle seals just outboard of the diff and the pinion seal as well as the knuckle seal) and gaskets and re-pack the wheel and knuckle bearings.

1. I have cleaned the outside and wire-brushed a lot of it, but I have a transmission shop down the street that I think will hot tank it for me to get in all of the nooks and crannies. Will hot tanking hurt the knuckle and pinion cups? Is there a better way to strip the outside in prep for paint? I want to avoid getting grit inside the housing as much as possible.

2. What is the preferred sealant (Permatex 300?) on:
- the outside rim of the oil seals
- the pinion yoke butt and splines
- the fill/drain plugs
- the bolts that go through housing through-holes (like the carrier bearing cap bolts)

3. What is the preferred sealant on the housing gasket?

4. What is the preferred gear oil? Is 85W-90 better than regular 90wt.?

5. I banged the pinion out with a block of wood per the manual - does this damage the outer pinion bearing or bearing cup? It looks and feels OK.

6. What is the preferred grease for the wheel bearings, axle joints, and knuckle? Ludel recommends Texaco Starplex-2 but I can't find it locally.

7. Is the paper gasket behind the pinion seal necessary?

8. How much pitting is OK on the knuckle external surfaces? What is the preferred way to fill pits - is JB weld or epoxy OK?

9. Can I take a couple of extra drive plates to a machine shop and have them machine out the splines so that all of the front axle internals aren't spinning - i.e. maintain the correct look (no lock-out hubs) but reduce front axle wear. Will that work? Drive plates are easy to swap when I want 4wd.

10. Is the diff cover vent fitting re-buildable or should I just buy a new one?

I am sure I will have more questions later!

Last edited by davistroy; 02-17-2008 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Added Info
davistroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Eric 76 cj

I wish I could help you, I am doing the same thing to my dana 30 and you gave me a bunch more questions! Lets hope someone that knows what thier doin replys.
Eric 76 cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.