Front axle issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Front axle issue

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Roland207
1986 CJ7 

Front axle issue

Okay, to start off I am new to this and I am sorry this is a long story. I feel that I am having some issues with my front axle. I was told that both my axles are Dana 44's and I do have an electronic locker installed on the front axle. Issue is when in 4 wheel drive the passenger side tire doesn't turn with the drive shaft even with the locker on. I did notice that the Jeep wants to pull to the right while driving in 4 wheel drive. I imagine that's due to all the power is only going to the driver side wheel. I am guessing that something is wrong somewhere between the pumkin and passenger side wheel. I have jacked up the front of the jeep while in 4 wheel drive and noticed that I am able to turn the driver side wheel and see the drive shaft turns but, not the passenger wheel. So, I thought that maybe it was because, I didn't have the locker engaged. With the locker engaged it still operated the same way. Does anyone know what could cause this issue?

Roland207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
CSP

You're going to have to tear into it some for any real answers. Your locker may not be engaging like it should. There's one brand of electric lockers (I can't remember which one) which is plagued with issues like this. It's not made any longer for this reason. You could have a broken axle shaft or a hub that's not locking in, etc. There are several possiblities, but until you start to rule parts out it's a crapshoot from a computer monitor.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Roland207
1986 CJ7 

I was afraid of that. I did open up the hubs and noticed that the driver side looks different then the passenger side. The driver side I am able to manually push the gear to engage with the other gear but, the passenger side I can push it in but, it doesn't meet the other gear. Maybe its that hub? One other stupid question. The locker is suppose to lock the axle so it would operate as if it was posy, right? Cause, I maybe wrong but, I thought that if I was in 4 wheel drive and I turned the wheel the other wheel should turn in the oppisite direction and with the locker engaged if I turned the wheel the other would turn in the same direction?
Roland207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

To check hubs, jack up front end again and lock in the hubs. Then turn each wheel while looking to see if the axle is turning. You can see the axle where it has the u-joint in this picture. If both the axles are turning, your locker may not be operating correctly.
dana-30.jpg  
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.