Front ARB locker missing a bolt.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Front ARB locker missing a bolt....

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
offroadz
1980 CJ7 

Front ARB locker missing a bolt....

Sheared off inside and the bolt was stuck on the magnet when I popped the diff cover off.

First pic is the locker with the empty hole. Next pic is the bolt I'm holding. Can't thread down.

Am I going to run into issues later on or does this need to be addressed immediately. Has anyone able to drill out the sheered bolt out of something like this?

diffy1.jpg   diffy2.jpg  
offroadz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have never seen that happen before... How old is your locker?

I have seen the flat headed screws that hold the locker together get sheared off but i don't think they are graded bolts.

Is that a grade 8 or higher? If so, that may be difficult to drill out but if you go really slow it might work. If the locker is less than 2 years old, it may be worth contacting ARB.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
offroadz
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipe007 View Post
I have never seen that happen before... How old is your locker?

I have seen the flat headed screws that hold the locker together get sheared off but i don't think they are graded bolts.

Is that a grade 8 or higher? If so, that may be difficult to drill out
Talking with a buddy who just put a new Detroit in, I'm going to seal it back up, wheel it(dumb, i know) and get it fixed down the road. I just won't engage the front locker. Trails I go on are just for scenic views anyway.
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
CSP

The bolt may just back right out of the hole now that it has no tension on it. Have you tried to remove it?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
offroadz
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The bolt may just back right out of the hole now that it has no tension on it. Have you tried to remove it?
I haven't. I'm trying to figure the correct tool.

not sure what is the best course to remove it or back it out and put a new one in.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
CSP

I would try with just a punch or screwdriver to see if it moves without much resistance first. You might catch an edge where it broke and that might be enough to get it to turn.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
offroadz
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
I would try with just a punch or screwdriver to see if it moves without much resistance first. You might catch an edge where it broke and that might be enough to get it to turn.
I will try that!!! Good idea.
Unread 05-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Is that red/orange color in the hole look like loctite to you? Red sucks, but you can shock it some to loosen if it is red loctite. A flat punch lined up in the center and tapping with a ball peen or small sledge will sometimes work. Careful not to hit with a tool that might enlarge the (whats left of it....) bolt and cause it to tighten in the hole. ARB has pretty tight tolerances, so go slow. Could be silicone too, the pics does not show it specifically. Keep away from that airline too if possible. Lucky you have the bolt head. The marks on it will tell you how easy it is to drill. Gr8 takes a cobalt or better and a Gr5 can be done with hss bits then a ez out will make short work of it. Is it metric (I suspect it is, I think I see a "m" on the bolt head)?
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.