Fried something, but what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fried something, but what?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
dunnyCA
1979 CJ5 

Fried something, but what?

Can anyone help me figure out what may have gotten fried if anything.

Took my rig out for a spin yesterday, stopped for gas. Got back in and it wouldnt start. Turning the key does nothing, like a limp weiner. Lights etc on, they dont even dim or anything when I turn the key.

Thought maybe It was battery related at first since ive been having some problems with that, alternator gone bad i think, but a boost did nothing.

Once I got it towed home, the only visible sign of anything out of the ordinary was the solenoid to starter cable got a little melted from the header. Looks mostly like melted casing, cant see any actual wire.

If that's the source of my problem, would it just be the cable that needs to be replaced? Could the solenoid have been fried, as it doesnt seem to make a sound or anything when the key is turned. What about on the column itself, could a switch there or anything have been fried?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

dunny

dunnyCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
brian613
1977 CJ5 

use a multimeeter and see if your getting power out of the solenoid if you are then look at your grounds on the engine if your not then id replace the solenoide
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
dunnyCA
1979 CJ5 

Hey Brian, thanks for the reply. Can you talk to me like I'm a 5yr old though. Learning as I go here. Where and how do I hook up the multimeter?
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

I can just about garauntee its the selenoid.It sounds like it is stuck, when that happns it builds up heat in the cables and melts the insulation.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
dunnyCA
1979 CJ5 

Hoping it's that simple. Just picked up a new solenoid and replaced the starter wire + wrapped my header last night (still itching from the header wrap). Should have stuff back together this aft, will let you guys know how I make out.

Thanks for the input.
Unread 08-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
dunnyCA
1979 CJ5 

im going to cry

Replaced starter cable and solenoid. Turn the key, and nothing, not a tick from anywhere. Check fuse too, replaced it for fun and still nothing.

None of the fusible links anywhere are burnt or anything. Is it possible that the coil got smoked somehow? What about something on the actual column?
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
dunnyCA
1979 CJ5 

Haha! So after some googling, I thought it could be the ign switch on the column. After reading about it in my shop book, I thought maybe it's loose because something felt a little washy when turning the key. sure enough the while switch was moving with the rod. Held it in place and crank, almost woke up the kids.

Ahhh. So going for a cruise tomorrow.
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
brian613
1977 CJ5 

cool glad you got it figured out...

o and owning a cj you need to learn to use a multimeeter for when (not if) you start having electrical issues.
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj5 , electrical , engine , jeep , starting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.