Freeze plug, head gasket or freak of nature - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Freeze plug, head gasket or freak of nature

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Freeze plug, head gasket or freak of nature

400 miles ago, i did a 4.0 head and efi to my 258. I used JB weld, seemed to be ok. Last week, noticed a v small puddle of fluid under bellhousing, same place a RMS would manifest itself however it was coolant. Green. Watery. Evaporated from mess on ground. So I tore out my tfr case - needed seals anyway, took out tranny, needed seals anyway, removed bellhousing, clutch and flywheel to provide me some direction... but I didn't see what I wanted to.

Attached are pics of the rear of the 258 block with 2 freeze plugs. One has some slight yellow staining under and around it but that staining does not go further down the block...ALso are pics of the head gasket from the bottom upwards, no signs of anything at all up there. The head itself has a freeze plug also no signs of anything. ALL freeze plugs were new for the rebuild.

HOWEVER I noticed something strange. The normally BLUE one piece high end pan gasket had two green areas - right where I had dabbed some black Permatex at the corners....

So is it the upper freeze plug, head gasket or freak of nature! Opinions please...what next? Change plugs anyway? Drop pan, redo rms, no permatex? With permatex?

jeep0001.jpg   jeep0002.jpg   jeep0003.jpg   jeep0004.jpg   jeep0005.jpg  

jeep0006.jpg  
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Put some PSI into your cooling system(20psi MAX)and see where the leak is.
Some coolant can be seen with UV light also.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Not sure I can accomplish that - i'd need a pump of some type (my OBA is pretty useless now!!) and a rad cap ?vANy other way of testing that?
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2 View Post
Not sure I can accomplish that - i'd need a pump of some type (my OBA is pretty useless now!!) and a rad cap ?vANy other way of testing that?
You need a cooling system tester. It is a hand pump and gauge with a special radiator cap the allows you to pump up the cooling system.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

As some now, pressure tester re ealed leak in thermostat housing!!!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.