Freeing frozen brake drum? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Freeing frozen brake drum?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
pineland_family
1970 CJ5 

Freeing frozen brake drum?

Hello!

I have a 1970 Kaiser CJ5 with the Dauntless V6, and the front left wheel is locked up ... I am presuming the brakes are locked up on the drum. I severe doubt there is a problem with the locking hubs, since even if the wheels were locked in with the hubs, in neutral they should still roll ... this wheel is just locked in place.

How do I free up this wheel?

I have pulled the tire and removed the drum brake adjusting plug/cover, and can't find a "ratchet" for adjsuting the actuator/tensioner for the pads.

Any and all advice is graciously welcome!

Unread 10-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Have you tried beating the drum with a 2-3 lb hammer? If you suspect it is rusted up in there, you will probably be looking for new drums anyways. Hit the drum around the outer edge, on the 'corner' where it goes from the wheel mating surface to the outer ring area that the shoes are against on the inside. Hit around it a few times, the shoes may just be rusted to the drum. I've even had where the lining has come loose from the shoe and wedged between the drum and the other shoe. My drilling hammer and a few minutes of thumping on it got them loose.

As always though, wear eye and ear protection - rust will fly off, and the sharp blows from the hammer on the drum will leave your ears ringing..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
pineland_family
1970 CJ5 

@ Cutlass ...
What is the likelihood that it IS just a brake pad issue, and not a frozen set of bearings? Will pick up a small mallet when the pension check comes in!

Thanks!
Unread 10-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

More than likley the brake shoes, FYI, pads are used with disc brakes.

I just freed one like yours, 4 lb. Sledge between the studs, around the outer edge, and as if you were trying the to knock it off from the back side. Careful, you could break a piece off or bend the backing plate.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

My stock answer for "stuck" 'frozen" 'rounded-off", etc.
Take an acetylene cutting torch and with a real fine flame, put the tip thru the hole where you adjust the brakes. Cut the self adjuster in half. That will release tension on all the brake components except the drum itself, damaging only the self-adjuster (10 bucks at the FLAPS. )
If that doesn't release it, the drum is stuck. Cut the drum in a line from where it contacts the hub down in a "6 oclock" line to the edge and then across to the back. Then pull it off.
Obviously then you'll have to replace the drum, but by cutting at " 6 oclock" you dont damage the shoes, wheel cylinder, and the holddowns.
It took longer to post this than to do the job.
FWIW I can't see how anyone could own a CJ w/o access to an acetylene rig.
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
fcjunkie

I assume that it is not self adjusting brakes. Why don't you back off the shoes with the adjusters on the back of the backing plate before you do any banging and see if that helps. I'm pretty sure the pads are rusted or stuck to the drums. A service manual is always first on my list when messing with old Jeeps!

'02 TJ Wrangler
Eleven Forward Control Jeeps
Three Willys Wagons
'57 Willys Pickup
'67 Jeepster
'46 CJ2A
One understanding wife!
www.thefcconnection.com
fcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I normally use a good sized air hammer from the inside edge of the drums working my way around. Some times have to heat the flange area between the wheel studs.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I use a hammer between the studs as mentioned, not as good with a torch as 408, but only after I have tired to brake it loose by trying to pull it with another vehicle. A little forward, a little back, the more traction the better. I'm lazy.

The other thing to consider is pulling the hub apart to allow the drum to move on the bearings, the flex can brake stuff loose. This is in conjunction with the hammer menthod not the pull it with a vehicle method.
twocents.gif

Unread 10-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
pineland_family
1970 CJ5 

I tried to access the adjuster from the back "porthole", but could even find/feel the adjuster, so I am not able to back off on the tension. I will aim to use heat as a last resort, or "hire" someone to do it ... I am hesitant to play with heat/torches with my disabilities ...

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I just noticed were you are at, I will be staying at the Residence Inn there next week. If you would like I can run over one evening after work and give you a hand.
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
pineland_family
1970 CJ5 

Hi Mopar, thank you for the offer ... I can only see one problem that could impede on that ... I am a (disabled) single dad raising two younger (5 & 4) year olds that like to be in the middle of everything. If you can give me an idea of what night, I could arrange for them to have dinner with their mom. Is that the Residence Inn in Somers Point?
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Yep, that's the one, it actually reminded me to make my reservations, so I owe you one. I will get in Monday night at about 2 am so Tuesday I will probably want to go back and crash, but Wednesday should work great for me. The kids really want bug me, we can chain them up or something. We can talk a few days before so if I need to bring any tools I should have access to what ever we need, I'll be at a dealership. come to think of it maybe I'll run by Tuesday and size it up so I knwo what to bring Wednesday. It'll be fun, it gets boring sitting ina hotel room playing on the computer all night. PM me and we'll exchange numbers.
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346
I just noticed were you are at, I will be staying at the Residence Inn there next week. If you would like I can run over one evening after work and give you a hand.
THIS is what makes this forum so great!

Two thumbs-up to Mopar346.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Thank you, but I'm just paying back, it's my turn, besides we aint fixed nothing yet.
Unread 10-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineland_family View Post
I tried to access the adjuster from the back "porthole", but could even find/feel the adjuster, so I am not able to back off on the tension. I will aim to use heat as a last resort, or "hire" someone to do it ... I am hesitant to play with heat/torches with my disabilities ...

Thanks for the advice!
you have a couple of options.
First, you can get behind there with a flashlight and try to see the adjuster. Finding and attempting to loosen the shoes by backing them off is the first step. If you can't back off the adjuster and tapping around the outside of the drum doesn't do anything, you can unbolt the wheel cylinder, cut the backs off the retainers with a chisel, and remove the brakes with the drum and hub. If you can't access said parts, you can remove the knuckle and work on the drum on the bench. This is done by removing the snap ring on the end of the stub axle, unbolting the knuckle seal, and pulling the knuckle bearings (not a bad time to take a look at these, as well as the seals). This will allow the entire knuckle to be removed from the axle housing and set up on the bench for better access. That being said, if you are at an impasse, you can take the assembly to a mechanic if you can't get it apart.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.