frankenstein power steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > frankenstein power steering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-02-2002, 11:18 AM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

frankenstein power steering

I am pretty sure this will work from all the stuff I read, but just wanted to see what people thought.

I just got a power steering pump off a 84 360 V8.
I am getting a power steering box off a 79 CJ-7.
I am putting the two of those on a 1976 CJ-5 V8 304.
The hoses from the CJ-7 are there as well as the Wagoneer I believe.

So, I figure with all those pieces, I can construct power steering for my 5.

Anyone agree with my thinking?

I know I will have to get a new belt and possibly new hoses, but I think the rest of the hardware should bolt right in. I am also getting a 4" Skyjacker lift with the pitman drop arm or SuperLift, not sure which, but I will get the new pitman arm, sooooooo, I think that is all folks.

Apparently the 360 and 304 use the same mounting plate. Anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
cb

certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 03:57 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The box will mount up fine. Not sure about the hoses though. Don't the 80's systems use an O-ring instead of a flared fitting? Check your pump to see if it needs an O-ring. If it does, then you'll probably have to find some adapter fittings or have custom hoses made with flared fittings for the box and O-ring style for the pump.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 04:01 PM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

good point, the power steering pump is the o-ring type, not sure about the box, haven't received it yet, but you are probably right. I am sure I can get some hoses made if need be, just happy to be getting power steering for so little, all in all it is costing me like $120. I thought it was a great deal seeing how I have manual with 35X12.5X15's

Thanks for the info.

cb
Unread 12-02-2002, 05:42 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Yep, one of the best things I did to my CJ was swap to power steering. It'll be the best $120 you're gonna spend for the return. Good luck..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-02-2002, 06:07 PM   #5
55-willys

i hear you on the manual steering. i ran the old bellcrank manual steering onmy 55 M38-A1 or about 8 years with 33 inch tires, just about killed me. i put power steering out of a 86 camero, box, pump, and column. turnedout great, i did have to have a high pressure hose made up, cost about $60.00 but its the high pressure type that will last forever. good luck with your swap.
Unread 12-02-2002, 06:20 PM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Where did you have the power steering hose made? I figured I can have it done, just not sure where to go.
Unread 12-02-2002, 06:33 PM   #7
55-willys

our local 4X4 shop made it up. i showed him the hose ends that i needed, he went in the back and brought some new ones out, then i give him the lenght and told him which angle they had to be, took him about 5 minutes to make it up. youll need to contact a 4X4 shop thats se-up to make hyd. hoses and has the fittings, either in stock or can order them. or youll have to contact a auto/industrial parts store. the other way, and i did this on my street-rod, i went from a dodge power steering box to a ford power steering pump, is to take both hoses, the one off your pump and the one of the steering box, then have a welding shop braze the two together, the part on the box that goes to the pump to the begining of the hose that goes to the pump, we have auto parts stores here that will also do that for us. but having a whole new hose and fittings is the way to go.
Unread 12-02-2002, 06:48 PM   #8
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

definitely new hoses and fittings. That is the way to go no doubt. I get the parts this week, so I will have the hoses from both and the ends. So, I will cut and splice what I need, tape it up, and then bring it down to see what is up.
Unread 12-03-2002, 12:04 AM   #9
55-willys

thats the way to do it. they will be able to see wat type of fitting you need on each end and make a hose up for you.
Unread 12-03-2002, 12:21 AM   #10
Gator

hey Guys,
heres something to think about... its cheap & works
Steering Box from a late Model Chevy Z28 or Pontiac Firebird... its has a 13:1 Variable Ratio in it < same thign AGR uses but charges you 325 bucks for it> < you can drill & tap it yourself for the Hydro assist>
tractor Supply or Harbor freight... 1 2x8" Ram 50-100 bucks
your Choice of PS Pumps.. take the inlet side out go to www.Westtxoffroad.com & drill the inlet side & stretch the springs to there specs... & have a couple hoses made
all this can be had for under 300-400 bucks < thats buying everything from scratch if you've already got most of the pieces then thats less you'll need to spend>

Hydro Assist for your Jeep... its cheap.. its easy & works.. & no need to fool around with it later
it can be driven on the street as well
even if you didnt want to put the ram on it now. still drill the pump out for more pressure to help turn the bigger meats

hope this helps... no need to spend 900 for a AGR Rockram

hope this helps guys... if anything Check out WestTxoffroad... reading that HELPS alot , they'll even do the work for you if your not confident in doing the work yourself
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 04:12 AM   #11
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I clicked on the link and it is dead.
Unread 12-03-2002, 07:20 AM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Gator, are you running that hydro assist? How does it work on the street? Did you type in the correct address for that site? I couldn't link either and I'm interested in this ram setup.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-03-2002, 12:21 PM   #13
Gator

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html

sorry guys i did goof on the link

i'm in the process now of putting a Hydro Assist on my Yj... however i have driven a 00 Tj on 38.5" from Dallas to Shreveport Lo. with the Agr set up & i couldnt tell the ram was even on it... no difference in driving on the highway

i would run a ram if your running 35's & planning on going larger...i've seen vehicles drop off in a crank while wheeling turn into it & the ram has so much force behind it, it would literally lift the side of the vehicle thats int he hole & be able to drive right back out of it...
by adding a ram you'll add about 100-150% turning force on the wheels... WHICH helps!
one finger steering can be had again even with 44's
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 06:00 PM   #14
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hmmm... definately sounds like a Springtime project.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-03-2002, 10:15 PM   #15
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by cb4158
definitely new hoses and fittings. That is the way to go no doubt. I get the parts this week, so I will have the hoses from both and the ends. So, I will cut and splice what I need, tape it up, and then bring it down to see what is up.
You could also go to the junkyard and pull the pressure fitting from a pump that used the flare fittings. They simply unscrew from the back of the pump. Unscrew the oring type you have and replace it with the flare type. I believe even NAPA sells these new. Then get hoses for any pre-80 CJ with power steering and you don't ever have to worry about custom hoses or finding someone to make one when you have a problem out in the middle of nowhere.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.