FrankenBooster? yj booster cj master with yj guts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > FrankenBooster? yj booster cj master with yj guts?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

FrankenBooster? yj booster cj master with yj guts?

So I got into my Yj dual diaphragm swap only to find out its a single booster. $#!^...
I decided to experiment a little, I separated the YJ MC from the YJ booster and the same with the cj stuff. The Yj is a 1995 and had a significantly deeper socket for the rod into the MC, about 1/2"-3/4" diffrence.
I took the circlip off and removed the guts from the Yj MC and measured them, they were virtually identical bore and stroke. I then inserted the Yj guts into the cj MC, creating a MC with the correct fittings for my cj lines and the correct depth for the Yj boster and rod. I did have to do some creative trimming and drilling to fit it to the booster. about 0.2" diffrence in the bolt pattern, and the bottom of the MC is round not "V" shaped.
After putting the whole assembly back in the the wrong way several times, I took it around the yard. The pedal grabbed good but went to the floor before engaging.
I followed the link from the BustedJeep writeup, And cut and lengthened the rod. I now have great stopping power (the orig. cj booster was total crap and worn out) but the pedal is about 4-5" too high and has a very long take-up before engaging the MC plunger.
My new idea is to make a bolt and stop assembly to adjust the pedal down. Will this hurt the booster being partially through the travel or did I miss something else. I rode it around and the brakes don't drag now and I can feel the MC engaging around where it used to, the pedal just travels about three inches before anything starts happening. Any ideas?

CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.