Frame Work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Frame Work

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
jeepjeepwhat
1980 CJ7 

Frame Work

I currently have a 1980 CJ7 and I am thinking of doing a serious overhaul on this Jeep. I am thinking I might buy a new to me frame and have it cleaned and painted (mine has serious rust and should be replaced). What years are acceptable for me to use?

jeepjeepwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

While any 76 to 86 CJ-7 frame CAN work, you will find the 76 to 81 frames a straight replacement as the front shock mount will match your axle brackets and inner fender design. If you do find a good frame, you can sandblast or wire wheel the outside before painting it. For the inside, you can tape up ALL but two holes (one on each rail, and pour in 1/2 gallon of rust preventing primer and tilt and turn over the frame to fully coat it.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
jammer1

cj frame

you can take the frame and get it acid dipped (they don't use a acid, it's just called that). I just purchased a frame to fix up for a cj8 rebuild I'm starting in the summer, the previous owner cut out and welded in patches. He just lost interest in the cj8 and went to a wrangler. I had it acid dipped and found rust holes along where the guy repaired. If I just sandblasted, I probably would have missed these sections and the frame would last only about 5 yrs. I had a cj7 and did the frame up including professional sand blasting and heavy primer. I painted and built the jeep. 8yrs later I was looking under jeep & found frame rotted from inside out. Only in a jeep has the right idea on coating the inside. The cj7 I just rebuilt (used a tdk frame), I taped up the holes and used a pressure sprayer connected to 1/4" hose with a spray tip on end. Used chassis paint with hardener and sprayed the inside. Then rolled the frame to coat what I missed. I guess this would work with a sandblasted frame to seal the rust in. I just found the acid dip 350. well worth it.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I use a cold galvanizing compound from Crown to spray the insides of my newest frame with. My last frame I stripped and coated really well and when it as finally done in, I had a nice pretty coating with no steel under it. They rot out amazingly well from the inside....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
jammer1

frame

Mike, how long have you had a frame galvanized last. If it bonds, that would give the protection like the tdk galvanized frames. The chassis black/hardener bonds well, holds up to gas pretty well (no gas in frame), and won't need any other coating. Sounds good.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer1 View Post
Mike, how long have you had a frame galvanized last. If it bonds, that would give the protection like the tdk galvanized frames. The chassis black/hardener bonds well, holds up to gas pretty well (no gas in frame), and won't need any other coating. Sounds good.
I live up in the Canadian Rust Belt and my CJ7 is a daily driver so it sees 'lots' of road salt and ocean salt even.

I redid the frame in 99/00 when putting a 'glass body on it and used the Crown cold galvanizing on all the fender washers and various iron plates needed for the 'glass tub to mount but never thought of doing the frame.

When I replaced that frame last January, I reused all the fender washers and sheet iron plates because they had virtually no rust on them still and galvanized this frame really well. I only had spray bombs though, which I shot in all the holes and had an opening in both tails so I finished with a whole can in the ends. A good mist was coming out all the holes.

I plan on doing another coat next summer with an air sprayer and long wand to be real sure I got it all, but so far not a spot of rust. The stainless mesh brake lines I used are already rusted to crap at their fittings so the spray is working.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.