Frame Rust Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Frame Rust Repair

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-29-2002, 03:53 PM   #1
CJ8DV8

Frame Rust Repair

Hi-

I've been crawling around under my Scrambler and I found a rusted-through section of frame.

It's right next to the rear leaf spring's front mounting bracket. I know it's hard to describe. Think of it as being just before the frame turns up to go over the rear axle.

I've heard this is a typical spot for CJ frame rust-out. My question is "How bad a situation is it?".

I'd hate to have to resort to a new frame. Also, I understand the older Jeeps had a C-channel frame- they weren't boxed. My Scrambler frame is boxed so basically in this spot I now have a C-channel frame- the bottom of the boxed-in portion is what's rotted.

Has anyone had experience repairing this "common" frame rust spot? I normally wouldn't be worried about a narrow, six inch long rust hole in a boxed frame except it's right at the leaf spring mounting bracket.

Any suggestions?

Half hardtop
Rustproof plywood floorboards and bed upgrade.
Lots of work, but working on it.
CJ8DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 01:57 AM   #2
Hippo393

Anytime a hole is rusted thru on a frame it is of critical concern, specially when your suspension is depending on it. Your priority is to stop the bleeding, so to speak. What have you done to treat it? Wire brush and some POR-15 (from 4WD hardware, etc) can stop the advancement of rust.

If you're interested in building up the weak spot, scan the classifieds in your local newspaper under "Tires/Parts/Accessories" or similar heading. I regularly see small ads for mobile welding companies willing to repair sitches like yours! May just be worth the peace of mind. At least inquire on this next logical step in regaining frame integrity. Good luck!
-alan
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2002, 10:08 AM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You should powerwash the inside of your frame first .. clean everything up like Hippo suggested, but put in some frame supports on the sides .. and have that mobi-welder person (if you can't do it yourself) weld it in for extra strength.

Leave the bottom of the frame open so that the water and grunge can wash out .. and while you are at it, fix up the other side of the frame .. it might not be as bad, but you might as well fix it up before it gets horrible.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.