frame preparation - por15??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > frame preparation - por15???

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-20-2002, 01:55 PM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

frame preparation - por15???

I have successfully stripped my jeep down to the frame and now I am facing what to do. I got a rust wheel, put it on the drill and got off all the dirt. The frame was coated with something prior and there is no rust whatsoever, a little tiny surface rust in one place, but that is it. I have to replace the rear frame cross member because of a previous accident, but that is about it. I got that already and am ready to start considering options about what to do to coat the frame to prevent future rust.

I have read about por-15, however, is that just for frames with rust? I am afraid of non-rust application. As for other options, I am considering a herculiner type applicatoin, but not sure if that is the way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

cb

certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 02:25 PM   #2
JoeRedMan

frame prep

Mine may not be the best, but the previous owner(s) rhino-lined the frame also. I found very little rust under some of the places it has flaked off while I was working on it. It prolly ain't the way to go, but just thought I'd put my .02 in. Good luck!
Unread 09-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Well to be honest, I am not sure what is up with the stuff on the jeep frame. The kid I bought it from says he had it for 8 years(title confirms this) and he never did a frame off. So, this means whatever the stuff is has to be like 10 years old. So, I am thinking it is some kind of rubberized undercoating or something. It was a southern Jeep, bama and virginia, so maybe it is original paint for there is no salt down there, who khows. It has a lot of dirt on it as well as tranny oil, so maybe the combo preserved it, who knows. I am just trying to figure out what to do for it will now be an east coast(New England) Jeep and that means salt, lots of it.

Thanks for the advice though. I am reading through the archives to see what other's have done.

cb
Unread 09-20-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Well it appears from reading to do the following

marine clean - to degrease
metal ready - to disolve rust and etch new or bare metal
por15 - to put on the incredibly hard surface
blackcote - to paint the por15 because it has issue with UV.

Anyone done the whole process yet?
Unread 09-20-2002, 08:10 PM   #5
antman

My friend just did that to his axles. Looks awesome.

Me, I am in the same place you are at. I have a new frame thatis factory primed. I was thinking a spray on liner application would be cool, but decided agaisnt this.

Two options:

1. Sand off all the primer on new frame, marine clean, metel prep then POR15 rust stop/treatment.

OR

2. Apply POR15 CHasis Coat over the primer, and just do yearly rust prevention ( rust stop inside frame rails and such ) before each winter. I am probally going to go this route. Only concern, is if primer comes off, so does the topcoat. But, its was applied and bked on, so shouldnt be a prob.

I suggest/am buying my stuff right from POR's site. Get the smaller cans, its better to use it all at once. With the smaller cans, you can get a mix and also, not just all of one. I didnt see that option in 4WD's book. Wear gloves, my friend didnt lol.

Oh, my friend loved the end result, and he tried the hammer test. Passed with no problems, and he hit it hard. Nothing came off, just a little indentation. Hope this helps.

Jim
antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 08:53 PM   #6
JoeRedMan

OK, Y'all may laugh...but JC Whitney has a 'rust-prevention' thingy that runs off the battery and somehow or another prevents rust from forming...despite the chemistry lessons I had long ago, I can't remember how exactly it works. I don't know if the thing even works, but I have heard of plp using it
Unread 09-20-2002, 11:19 PM   #7
antman

Interesting...I remeber hearing something about that.

didnt know if it really woudl work. lord forbid if it was that easy, think every car in the salt belt would have it by now

Time to check this out lol
antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2002, 05:02 AM   #8
znla

try the rust encaspulator from the eastwood company. http://www.eastwoodco.com/
I have had good luck with this and it is uv resistant so no top coat if you desire. the stuff is red brown color.
thanks rusty
znla is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.