Frame off Resto. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Frame off Resto.

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-10-2002, 02:00 PM   #1
WarnRocker79

Frame off Resto.

Hi. I am lookin' into doing a frame off restoration and Iwas wanting to now about how much it would cost me to do it well. Well being sandblasting and coating the frame, putting in a 350 Chevy, new fiberglass body, springover, new wiring, the works, one piece axel....thanks

Slowly rebuilding into a monster
WarnRocker79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
1911shtr

Hey I have a restored 79 CJ7. It costs a sheet load of money. Get a brand new frame that is galvanized. Mine was coated and is still in decent shape, but is starting to rust. If you get a new frame when you have your suspension mounts put on just get them in spring over. I have a fiberglass body, and it sucks. You have to support anything you bolt to it. Fiberglass cracks if anything hits it hard offroading. The fire wall is too thin. However, it does not rust. But the supports they build into them will rot. They are wood. Get a new wiring harness. I didn't replace mine and It is a mess. Mystery wires everywhere. As far as the axles go I would find a set of front and rear dana 44s. As far as the engine goes your right on. With the new frame you will also have new engine mounts put on. It gets expensive, but I wish mine would of been done right. You have to learn the first time.
1911shtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2002, 05:31 PM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

What a LOADED question! LOL
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2002, 07:17 PM   #4
Bill Zebub

Yep its loaded -- the question we should ask is how much do you want to spend !
I can agree with 4x4 about the fiberglass body, I've owned several Jeeps and only 1 with a fiberglass body and I can say I truely hated that Jeep, ground wires everywhere, you cant really support the e-brake pedal very well so the glass cracked there. The screws for the door catches pulled out too many times to count and you can't get behind the door flange to use a nut and bolt. And I was never happy with the steering column, the firewall always felt soft and flexy and you could feel that,especially if you grabbed the wheel to climb in. No rust is nice but its easier to work with steel. just my opinion.
Bill Zebub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2002, 11:12 AM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

Bill's right, there are some issues to deal with on a fiberglass body. My last CJ had a FG Tub, but the problems I had were minor. A lot has to do with the manufacturer. Beware of the "cheaper" manufacturers. Mine was a 4WD Hardware Body, Quadratec's are also good quality, maybe even better. VERY Solid, though, reinforced with wood and steel core in the critical areas.

My next project will have either a Fiberglass Body again or possibly an Aluminum Body! I can't use steel, I live in the Northeast, salt capital of the world, steel is not even an option.

Aluminum Bodies are the new thing, but cost on the order of about $2600 for just the tub (although worth it, a budget issue).

A good Fiberglass Tub will be about $1200 to $2400 depending on the grade you want and whether it is Fiberglass or Kevlar. Quadtratec offers the tubs in 3 grades of Glass, 4WD Hardware offers one good solid tub.

Personally, I would go with Aluminum (now offered by Quadratec), if funds allow it.

Good Luck
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.