Frame off build up Ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Frame off build up Ideas

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
JFlanny11

Frame off build up Ideas

Hey Guys,

Im looking to take my CJ off the road in a couple months, as soon as I can find a TJ as my new DD.

This thread is simply to get some ideas from suitable offroaders, as Im your weekend wheeler, doing trails you all would simply laugh at .

Im going to be doing my first frame off build up for a trail rig...not a rock crawler. What I would like to be able to accomplish with this is a trail rig I can haul a$$ in on the trail if I would like. Deal with rocks, Mud and logs ect. It doesnt need to be street legal but it would be nice.

Right now, Im running an AMC360, T176 , Dana 300, Amc 20 in the rear and Dana 35 in the front. Up on 33 x 12.50. So its stock with the exception on the Engine from at 88 Grand Waggy and the lift w/ tires.

This is going to be a long build up as far as time, I know what im doing to an extent but it is going to be a learning process for me. Moneys always an issue too but I want to take my time and do it right.

So, What id like from you guys is a direction to take to achieve my goals, Everything from Axles to armor. Specific products too direct bolt in swaps.......Anything will help

Thanks guys

J

J

JFlanny11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Shoot.. sounds like you have a pretty nice setup "as is".

I'd probably go for front/rear lockers and 4 to1 gears in the transfer case. Some skid plating, tough diff covers, alloy axles and fuel injection.. done.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
JFlanny11

Besrk..... Whats the setup in your cj5
Unread 08-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlanny11 View Post
Im going to be doing my first frame off build up for a trail rig...not a rock crawler. What I would like to be able to accomplish with this is a trail rig I can haul a$$ in on the trail if I would like. Deal with rocks, Mud and logs ect. It doesnt need to be street legal but it would be nice.
Trails + Haulin' A$$ + CJ = But I guess that all depends on your definition of Haulin' A$$... I've never seen a pre-runner CJ... But I guess anything is possible...

Quote:
Right now, Im running an AMC360, T176 , Dana 300, Amc 20 in the rear and Dana 35 in the front. Up on 33 x 12.50. So its stock with the exception on the Engine from at 88 Grand Waggy and the lift w/ tires.
Nothing wrong with your powertrain. Except if it's really the D35 in the front (typo?). If you plan on Haulin' A$$ (and jumpin it), then you'll need to upgrade the front to a D44 or D60 and do the same with the rear. The FIRST decision you need to make is what size tires you will run. There are so many things that are affected by that ONE decision. If you want to stay with the 33" tires, you can probably get away with the stock 30/20 combo. With some mods. Start thinking bigger, than IMHO, go directly to the 60's or 60/14blt (or other HD combo). Remember: You said you wanted to 'do it right'.

Make that tire size decision, get back with us, and you'll get lots of real world experience. And lots of opinions.

Quote:
This is going to be a long build up as far as time...
Do not start taking a running vehicle apart without a time frame. Ya gotta trust me on this. Too many projects end up like mine: 12 years in the making. Some never get done. What happens, is that some of the new parts you put on in 2008, are no longer new in 2012. Meaning you get to replace them again. Or the parts you removed in 2008 you can no longer find in 2010 because you've moved them 'somewhere'.

I'll give you one HUGE lifesaver: DIGITAL CAMERA. If you don't have one, get one. It is your 'memory', when 'Next Saturday' turns into six months away.

Quote:
I know what im doing to an extent but it is going to be a learning process for me.
Yep. If it ends up like my project it'll be an expensive learning process. Again, it really does depend on what you want the Jeep to become. And what sort of 'finished' look you are trying to get. Obviously a trail 'beater' will not take the care/time to finish, as a 'show and go' Jeep will need during the build.

Quote:
Moneys always an issue too but I want to take my time and do it right.
Nothing against you bro, but I've seen this statement posted so many times that it makes me either smile or laugh. Or both. I started with a $500 CJ5. You've got to add a couple more zero's to that figure to get to what I've dumped into this 'project'.

If money is/will be and issue, don't do a frame off rebuild. Again, it depends on what you want the vehicle to become. And there are so many variables and there are so many MAW's that you'll be running your CC up and draining your savings before you know it.

Like the term Haulin' A$$, it all depends on what your definition of 'do it right' is. Mine is not to remove good parts and replace them with more good parts two weeks later. If you aren't equiped, capable, or have the resources to tackle a build: It's gonna be expensive. The 'proffessionals' will take your money. And there are good pro's. And not so good pro's. All part of the 'learning experience'...

Quote:
So, What id like from you guys is a direction to take to achieve my goals, Everything from Axles to armor. Specific products too direct bolt in swaps.......Anything will help...
Mild to Moderate Trail Street Legal CJ:
Stay with the drivetrain you have. 4" SUA lift, 1" BL. Run no more than a 35" tire, toss some 4.56 gears in the axles. Go ARB's (ya said ya wanted to 'do it right') or selectable in the front. At the very least on a CJ7 you can run a full Detroit in the rear and a soft locker in the front. Either install a hydroboost system or upgrade to a dual diaphram vacuum system. Oh, and dump the rear drums for a set of discs (they're better in mud). Toss in a 4:1 kit on the D300 (LoMax would be my preference) and properly twin stick it. 6 pt roll cage, harnesses, decent front bumper (with winch), decent rear bumper. Both with adaquate recovery points. Add some rock sliders, and corner protection (recess the tail lights). Consider installing an OBA system (you can use it to run the ARB's too).

I probably missed a few items (actually I know I did), but this is what you need to do before you turn a wrench and start taking things apart. Oh, and some advice about wrenchin' buddies: Don't let them work faster than you can 'keep an eye' on. 'cause they might be three states away when it comes time to re-assemble what they removed....
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
JFlanny11

Thanks Hack,

First off Yea it was a typo on the front axle.

This is exactly what im am looking for, I know for sure I want to run 35's.

As for Haulin A$$, Im not talking 60 mph on the trail, Im talking 30-35 mph. Im not looking to jump the jeep but the front end coming off the ground without breaking anything would be nice.

Street legal, Is an issue I know cause Im going to go to flat fenders and chop the rear corners off, but id like that to be my only issue.

Last edited by JFlanny11; 08-04-2008 at 10:16 AM..
Unread 08-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

Well,I used to be a prerunner guy. I had a 92 ford exploder with a custom suspension that I built and a custom solid axle swap from 2wd that I also did myself. It was a AWESOME vehicle for haulin down the dirt trails going 80, also it could take all tires off the ground type of big jumps, and playing in the mud it; was a awesome rig. But other than that pre-runner style lifts arent going to be all that good for rocks; logs are no problem.

Pre-runner is best for longer wheel base's I used to have a buddy that had a yj that was pre-runner. It was stupid, and he didnt just go the cheap way and just buy a set of larger lift springs for the front. He bought custom deaver springs that were set up to do pre-runner.

If your just gonna be going 30-35 you should just call up deaver springs and buy a set of springs that are a little bit softer, but will give you the same ride height. Thats up to you; its the pricy way to go, but its the smart way to go. Especially if your going to be doing a frame of resto/build.

Thats just my 2 cents. I don't think that I would do a full pre-runner style lift. But you can do whatever you feel like doing.
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
rckjeep
1977 CJ7 

I'm running 35's on dual D44's on an almost DD. The rear is stuffed with a Detriot 7 4.56's works well but I wish I would have had the $ for ARB's. Another rear axle to think about would be a Ford 9". They are easy to narrow but don't go to narrow. If you want to run 35's might as well build it to handle 37's that way you are covered in case you want to hammer down or run bigger tires later. I have a narrowed Chevy 3/4T 44 up front set to 58" WMS to WMS. Not a bad width for a CJ. It's 2" wider than widetrack. I see no reason to not swap out the axles for wider & stronger if you are going to go thru all the work of a frame off.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
JFlanny11

Thanks for the ideas rcjeep
Unread 08-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

Well, I'm actually in the process of buying all the necessary components for my new suspension. I'm going to use a early model chevy dana 44 and a gm 12 bolt. I just got the jeep and I don't like it's stance it's way to narrow for me.

I am using the d44 and gm 12 bolt on purpose, because it will give me more to do in the future, such as dana 60's. I'm NOT going to be doing a frame off build cause I already have a good setup to go with 351W mean cam, ford t-18, dana 300. My only reall weak links are the stock dana 35 and the model 20 bohemoth's.

Like HackFabrication said, it's going to be LONG unless you buy all the parts in advance,but thats not always best. If your going to do a frame-off then I suppose you are going to re-do wiring, body work, paint,bushings and the essentials. If you do all the work to remove the jeep from the frame then you should be doing stuff like that.All that right there is not even all that cheap in it's self.

If you do a frame off you need to be sure you have the funds, time, patience, and the room to have bits and pieces of a completely dissasembled jeep laying all over the place. Its best just to go the whole 9 yards and re-do EVERYTHING, that is if you want one clean jeep.

If money is an issue maybe you should just do it one step at a time. First maybe you can get your drivetrain and suspension in tip-top shape with the goodies that you want in it. You don't want to get in too deep and then have to sell it. Research research research
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.