Frame nuts 4 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Frame nuts 4 questions

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 01-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
semaJ
1979 CJ7 

Frame nuts 4 questions

Sorry for the silly question. (actually 4)

I am getting the fram ready for blasting and powder coating and am down to nothing and am noticing a possible issue on the nuts. I searched the forum but could not find the answers to the following questions.

What type of nut should i get to weld into the frame now that i knocked one out. Not really looking for thread count etc... I will get a bolt to match. A picture would be nice as the one one that came out was so rusted it was not recognizable but is definatly not your standard nut from lowes.

Where can I get these type of nuts?

How much rust is too much on the other nuts still in the frame?

What is the best way to clean the threads of rust in the old nuts that are salvageable but a little rusty.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

semaJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
CSP

Any type of nut will work. You most likely won't find the same threaded inserts that the factory used.

Run a tap through the other nuts to remove rust. Go a little bit, back it out, go a bit more.

Use anti-seize upon re-assembly.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Use an opposide side or matching nut still in the frame for a comparison. If the others are that rusted inside the threads, go ahead anf punch them out and weld in new nuts there too since you already have the welder and grinder out....Here's an older thread pics of when I did one of my frames for a quick trail Jeep...

Take a large hammer and an old bolt to knock out the broken bolt/nut combo into the frame. From here, you have several options once you have the clean open hole. I don't use any loose nut method as its too much trouble now and later when the part needs to be removed. One way is to weld a nut on a rectangle plate and drill two smaller holes on either side of the frame hole. Center plate and weld the two small holes shut to secure. I find the inside of the frame uneven from the old weld and frame channel overlap, so the method I use more times than not is to grind the corners off of a flanged nut of the proper size and use weed eater line to pull it up through the hole and spot weld it. Insert a bolt and straighten it up for a full weld. Even it the weld fails, the flanged part of the nut will stop it from pulling through. Here are some simple pics of the above.

Frame repair at the belly pan bolts. Yes, I had frame upside down, which really made it easier..

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

I wish I would have thought of doing it that way. I spent hours making nuts on the lathe. Great idea!
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
semaJ
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Guys I will let you know how everythign goes this weekend! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.