Frame/Body Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Frame/Body Swap

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-29-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
jmcj5

Frame/Body Swap

I have 2 Jeeps, a 75 CJ5 and a 58 CJ5. I want to swap the 58 body with the 75 frame. Does anyone know the frame specs for both rigs or if this is possible without too much effort? Or do you know where I can find the actual specs for each?

jmcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2002, 10:53 AM   #2
Brandon Miller

besides the obvious difference in length of about 6" I am sure it can't be that far off. I am sure a little fabbing is in order but that is a clean way to stretch an early jeep I'd say..
Brandon Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2002, 11:52 PM   #3
jmcj5

You wouldn't happen to know if the 75 is longer in the front, middle of rear would you? I'm hoping I can get away with either cutting the rear down a little. I'd rather not cut the frame in half, shorten it by 6 inches then put it back together. Still, It's cheaper than buying a new frame.
Unread 01-30-2002, 12:34 AM   #4
Brandon Miller

well it is right at your feet, at the end of the fenders. of course I really don't know what the frame is like just that the body difference is at the base of the fender, actually built into the fender and the hood, so front which is a good thing for the most part I'd think for mounting. Front 2 mounts will be slightly custom but maybe the rest will work? I dunno but I'd be interested to see what you find out
Unread 01-30-2002, 01:21 AM   #5
jmcj5

I figured that was the spot. Damn, I really didn't wanna got into that much work. I got enough issues with swapping all the good parts. I was going to measure it all out but I've been putting it off. Two stripped Rigs in the garage is two to many for my wife to know about. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm in for a hell of a weekend!
Unread 01-30-2002, 02:36 PM   #6
Brandon Miller

I know how ya feel, I got 2 myself
Unread 01-30-2002, 06:30 PM   #7
jmcj5

One other quick question. At the rear of my 75, there are coils springs mounted just above the leaf springs. Ya think this was stock or an add on?
Unread 01-30-2002, 11:23 PM   #8
Brandon Miller

Above the springs, around the shocks or ? Not stock, not sure what that is??
Unread 02-01-2002, 11:24 PM   #9
jmcj5

They are above the leaf springs, mounted to the Axle and Frame. There are no shocks in the middle of them. The shocks are just to the outside, close to the tires.
Unread 02-06-2002, 03:34 PM   #10
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

Springs between axle and body...sounds like someonemade their own version of overload springs. Not stock on my '75.

I believe the Tub size is the same between the two years, I think Brandon is correct, from the firewall to the Front fender well is the length difference.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2002, 08:03 PM   #11
Jeep CJ5

Well??? Did the cutting begin? Did the wife kick you out?

It seems easier to sell the 75 and buy a new frame for the 58. Or sell the 58 and get a new body for the 75. Then again I am not handy enough to mate two different Jeeps together to make 'Fraken Jeep'.

Amazing how Jeep projects can take on a life of their own!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.