fram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fram

This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 06-12-2002, 11:39 AM   #1
beachcruzr

fram

any ways to repair a craked frame?
please inform me

moser heavy duty one peice rear end
33" bfg muddies
currently undergoing a frame and engine swap.
beachcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2002, 02:50 PM   #2
Boggy Bottom

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by beachcruzr:
<strong>any ways to repair a craked frame?
please inform me</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here... Sign this form, because I am formerly an informer, but I never wore formal attire. For your information, this is merely a formality.

&lt;grin&gt;

Here is the quick and dirty version:

1. Remove enough bolts from your body to jack it up a couple inches.

2. Jack up, or otherwise manipulate your cracked frame into it's original alignment/configuration.

3. Make quarter-inch steel plates to match the area you wish to repair. Cut out some sections inside the plate area, so that the plate itself can become a stressed part of the frame... DON'T JUST WELD AROUND THE EDGES!!! That would be like repairing your broken baseball bat by using a soda can and a hose clamp.

4. Weld on the plates one at a time. If you are a welder, used DEEP penetration to get the strongest bond possible.

5. Paint it when it cools.

Now here is the sermon:

If your frame is cracked in one spot. Chances are your whole frame needs attention. Do a frame-resto. You will be glad you did. No, I know what you are thinking. You can do a fairly clean restoration job to your frame, and not have to remove the engine. It's easier, but not necessary.

In the end, there are many different ways to start and finish a project like a cracked frame. Frankly, if you aren't a welder, just take it to a welding shop. Most likely they will be able to help you and provide better workmanship than a scabbed-up plate job from a local-yokel garage. Course, you're gonna pay for it. Better to pay for it and get it done right instead of finding out on the trail that you got poked real hard by the good-ol-boys.

Good luck and hope this helps!
Unread 06-13-2002, 07:15 AM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

Good advice!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.