Four wheel drive problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Four wheel drive problem?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Four wheel drive problem?

I have a 1978 CJ-5 with a 304 V-8 and a 3 speed manual transmission. When I shift the transfer case into four wheel drive high everything seems to work fine and the Jeep will spin the front tires in the*dirt or snow. When I shift the transfer case into four wheel drive low you can feel the gear*reduction in the transmission and the Jeep does become geared down with more torque. The problem is only the rear tires will spin and the Jeep does not appear to be in four wheel drive. Is this problem most likely a shift linkage problem or is there some type of problem in the transfer case which is not allowing it to go into four wheel drive? Thanks.

RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
zillla
1975 CJ5 

My 75 will go into a 2-low mode if I don't get the lever down all the way to the floor..
zillla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Sloppy (worn) or partially disconnected linkage can cause this problem. It is amazing how much wear and tear occurs over the years with the transfer case shifter bouncing around during normal driving, much less off road terrain.
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
panman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i agree with turnabout.and i would sugest a twin stick setup since you'll have to pull the stick out to replace bushings and such. besides,from what i hear the option of full selectability is worth while.
panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
My 75 will go into a 2-low mode if I don't get the lever down all the way to the floor..
You were right! it just got so stiff I didn't think it could go any lower! Thanks!
RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.