Found oil leak, what do I do now? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Found oil leak, what do I do now?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #16
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

I did mine about a month ago on my 304. It's not terribly hard, but mine was also on a hoist. I could see how doing it int he vehicle would be difficult and time consuming though.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Did mine a few months back. As you will see when you read the step by step instructions will have to remove a motor mount. Even with the motor mount out is was still a little tricky getting it in to place without knocking a gasket loose. Having a extra set of hands around really made getting the oil pan back in to place easier.
that reminds me, get a 1-piece rubber oil pan gasket. waaay worth the few extra bucks.
Unread 01-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT5150 View Post
that reminds me, get a 1-piece rubber oil pan gasket. waaay worth the few extra bucks.
X2 on THAT!!!!!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
Renegade578
1981 CJ7 

Like Mike said, the valve cover leak imitates the rms leak perfectly. I have the exact same leak and will be replacing the valve cover gasket when I do my Howell TBI conversion.

If it does turn out to be the rms, don't forget to use RTV with the flepro 1-piece gasket on the oil pan. I just had to drop my oil pan and did not use RTV and it leaked like a siv. Had to do the whole thing over again. Believe me you do not want to have to do this twice. Good luck
Renegade578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Before attacking a rear main, I highly recommend you run the engine for a few minutes to warm it up and then take a clean rag and rub the engine head around the back side below the valve cover. If you find oil there, you have found the leak likely, well 'a' 'valve cover' leak that for sure imitates a rear main seal leak perfectly.

'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
wertyu78
1986 CJ7 

Im on the same boat as you, I think my rear main seal is leaking( replacing 1 year ago) so i dont know why it would be. I had a mechanic look at it and he said my vaccum pressure was off???

He wasnt the brightest guy but it could possibly be the Valve cover. any other tips on how to check it?
wertyu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #22
mpd0002
1984 CJ7 

x2 on checking that valve cover... mine leaks from the exact same spot on the picture, but if you get your head around the back of the engine, I can see where it is actually coming out the back of the valve cover and just running down, dripping exactly from there.
mpd0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #23
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

it seems like damn near any leak can imitate an RMS. I've got a mystery leak somewhere. I've replaced the fuel pump gasket (leaked from the bottom of that, rolled down the oil pan, and around the back of the pan), the dizzy gasket (and added an o-ring), and still somehow oil seems to be getting to the top of the dizzy - and back to the rear of the engine. I'm speculating that the dip stick may actually be leaking, so I'm going to run an experiment (with duct tape!) to see if that's it. If not, I'm all but out of ideas...
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
mpd0002
1984 CJ7 

all you can really do is dry it all off and see what gets wet again, then start at the highest point you see leaking oil and work your way down! unless you have reason to believe it is something somewhere at the bottom.
mpd0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #25
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine likes to mark its territory, too, but like the guys before me said, don't assume RMS before checking valve covers and the intake manifold. It is a lot easier to fix those from the top side then to get in to a RMS replacement only to find oil on the ground the next day.

Good luck!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.