Found the oil leak - distributor! Now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Found the oil leak - distributor! Now what?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Found the oil leak - distributor! Now what? PICTURES ADDED

I've been chasing an oil leak for awhile and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. We just got a pressure washer so I gave the motor a very thorough cleaning and after a little driving discovered oil coming out around the distributor where it goes into the block.

So, is there a seal, gasket or o-ring that I can replace, or will I have to get a new distributor? This is slightly complicated by the fact that I've upgraded to MPFI and the distributor has been modified to work with fuel injection.

Any suggestions as to how I should approach fixing the problem?

YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top

Last edited by Colt44; 06-04-2011 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Note addition of pictures
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Alby63
1982 CJ5 

Should be a gasket. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2
Unread 06-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

There should be a gasket at the base of the distributor right where it fits into the block. Felpro and all the others make them but brace yourself, they run about $14 for a felt circle about 2 inches in diameter! How bad is the leak?

You'll have to pull the dizzy out to replace it. I'd make all kinds of alignment marks so that if you CAREFULLY pull it out without moving anything, you can slip it back in and line everything back up.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
MoC
1986 CJ7 

If you change the gasket and it starts leaking again it is likely from engine blow by which means your rings are going bad. Do you have any smoke or oil around your breather?
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
There should be a gasket at the base of the distributor right where it fits into the block. Felpro and all the others make them but brace yourself, they run about $14 for a felt circle about 2 inches in diameter! How bad is the leak?

You'll have to pull the dizzy out to replace it. I'd make all kinds of alignment marks so that if you CAREFULLY pull it out without moving anything, you can slip it back in and line everything back up.
The correct way to do that is to pull it, replace the gasket, find #1 TDC on the exhaust stroke, then restab the distributer and set you timing back. Check it with a timing gun before you pull it so you can set it back to whatever timing you are running.
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

"it is likely from engine blow by which means your rings are going bad."

Or simply a plugged/disconnected/inop PCV system,as in my case.free fix.
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Pictures Added

First, a little more explanation. This engine was pretty messy when I first got the jeep and I spent awhile tracking down and fixing numerous leaks. It had a Clifford valve cover which leaked a lot of oil - turned out that there is a special Clifford VC gasket, but PO had used a standard one so no surprise it was blowing oil. The grommets were loose, too. All that really didn't go away until after the head swap earlier this year, and there hadn't been any significant leakage again until now. I finally decided to get to the bottom of this "last" () leak, so I slathered on the degreaser and cleaned the engine really well with a pressure washer. So, at last, a clean, dry engine. The only oil I see after a bit of driving is up the distributor shaft and around where the shaft goes into the block. There is a very tiny damp spot around the dipstick tube, but I'll look at that later.

I know that leaks around both the distributor shaft (significant amount) and dipstick tube (very small) might seem to indicate blow-by, but there is no smoke in the exhaust and the engine, which had supposedly been rebuilt not too long before I acquired the jeep in early 2006, does not consume oil, so I don't think it's the rings.

There is no smoke or oil coming from any of the plumbing going through the grommets on top of the valve cover, either the breather or the vacuum line. There's no PCV valve, because this engine not only has MPFI but has been upgraded to the 4.0 head. As per the 4.0 set-up, there is a breather at the front (looks like a tiny K&N filter) and at the rear a connection from the VC to the intake manifold, the tubing and connectors for which were taken from a '91 YJ.

All signs appear to point to the distributor gasket. The distributor was pulled and modified when we added the MPFI; perhaps the gasket was damaged or lost at that time and I just never noticed the leak until other issues were fixed along with the head swap.

Not too long ago the rubber tubing connecting the vacuum line from the VC to the IM broke, and the engine did blow some oil (the VC bolts turned out to be loose - my fault from the head swap) until I reconnected the line to the intake. I'll check to make sure all the various connections are tight and tubes unblocked before I take the next step and pull the distributor.

Gasket by Felpro is available for $1.99 from Advance, AutoZone, etc. so not sure why WindKnot had to plunk down $14.99. The Felpro part is a flat gasket; I've seen people in other threads talking about an o-ring instead - is that an option? A recommended option?

Thanks for all the advice, BTW.

Here are a few photos:
dsc_0027a.jpg   dsc_0030a.jpg   dsc_0028a.jpg  
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I know this is an older post but Any luck ever getting this leak fixed? Did you use the felt gasket or Oring on the dizzy? I have the same issue with the distributer leaking and replaced the felt gasket. Couldnt find an Oring that fit exactly. If you used the Oring what model and vehicle did you find it for?

Thanks
rksnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
tommyf59

looks like the dizzy hold down clamp is upside down, oops.
tommyf59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

No its not.... and that was 2 years ago.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.