found a great offer on a first jeep HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > found a great offer on a first jeep HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 03-12-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
kingkong827

found a great offer on a first jeep HELP

how are you guys doing. I am considering a CJ. i just went and looked at a 84 cj7 5sp in good shape. its got a bunch of goodies in it. new motor new front end u-joints, has hard top, soft top, rough country 4" lift, 32" dueller mts new floors (welds look good)
It was dark and had minimul light so i am going again on friday. What are things to look for as far as rust, motor, tranny problems.
what ever comes to mind let me know i am in no rush until i find the one. I used to own a toy 85 runner soild front body lift and 32s. i sunk it in the conneticut river so i am looking for a new off roader.

kingkong827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
CJ junky

Take it for a good ride , especially on the highway and go through all the gears. Listen for transmisson bearing noise and any other noise. Check the frame good, look for rot at / around the front and rear spring perchs. Make sure the oil pressure is at least 35psi @2000rpm and the engine warm. Make sure the body mounts are solid and intact. I'm sure there are other things but these are the basics. Good luck and happy JEEPIN.
CJ junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #3
CJ7Jeff

35 psi at 2000rpm? I better get rid of mine then. It will only do that when it is stone cold. When it is warm I get about 40psi at 2800rpm. A good rule of thumb that I always follow is 10 psi for every 1000rpm.

I would check everything stated above and look at the floors and body mounts to make sure they aren't rusted out/off. Depends on how much work you want to put into it really.
Unread 03-12-2003, 10:58 PM   #4
kingkong827

how would i go about test the oil pressure? How is th e rough country lift
Unread 03-13-2003, 12:08 AM   #5
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

Rough Country's are a little stiff and don't articulate as well as others, but it's not bad. Let us know what else it has. Ask the guy if the diffs are stock or if they are locked or if the gearing has been changed. Look under the dash and see if the wiring is in fair shape. Does it have a winch? stock bumpers? spare tire? jack? any storage boxes that are security tight? stereo? CB? How's the paint?

Most important is rust or cancer. And what price is the guy asking?
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 12:41 AM   #6
DaRaidz

Check out the 4x4

Make sure you shift into 4 lo and 4 hi and drive a short distance. Should not be any abnormal noises etc. Check the clutch for where it engages and how it feels etc. Good luck
Unread 03-13-2003, 01:03 AM   #7
scottahicks

and for heaven sakes tell us what he wants for the thing so that we can give you an idea of fair market value

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 08:34 AM   #8
kingkong827

he is asking 4500 obo. the diffs are open. and he says he has 3500 in recent recipits every thing else is stock paint is ok and it has diamond plate
i asked if it had rust under the diamond plate and he told me there was surface but no rot. how would i go about taking that off to take a look at that.
Unread 03-13-2003, 09:32 AM   #9
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

Where's the diamond plate? around the rear corners of the tub? Just take a flashlight and look up behind the tub. $4500 seems kind of steep for what you are describing. I'd offer $3500 and see what he says. That's what I paid and mine has no body rot.

He really doesn't have a lot tied up in mods and that's what's going to cost you after you buy it. The lift kit is a cheap one. I don't know how the tires are but more than likely they are not what you want so you'd probably be changing rims and tires.

IF this jeep were in such good shape that you didn't need to fix a single thing, it may be worth that kind of money. I did have to fix a lot of little things, and still have more to fix. Fuel gauge, temp gauge, seat, door locks, door seals, window crank, top snaps, rear brakes completely shot, motor, tranny, t-case all leaked like a sieve, turn signals, brake lights, radio, etc. You get the picture.

In the end, it's whatever you think it's worth to you.

Good luck.
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Unread 03-15-2003, 04:19 PM   #10
kingkong827

thanks for the info
Unread 03-16-2003, 01:14 AM   #11
scottahicks

Personaly at least in my area here in Oregon, and in Georgia where I just came from,, $4500. is a lot for that jeep, you could buy a jeep set up the same as the one your describing from a used car dealership here and we all know there over priced,,, 3000-3500 would be a better price if you can get him down on it,, and as for the recipts... WHO CARES!!!!! its nice to see recipts but we all know you NEVR EVER get out of a 4x4 what you put into it. there is a cj-7 here in town that is ABSOLOUTLY IMACULATE! I have personaly seen the 21,000 dollars in recipts and thay all match up,, this thing is the apitomy of a full featured trail and street rig,, i mean its got everything and its selling on comission at a car dealership for 9,500 and someone would buy it for that im shure,, hell i would if i could afford it but the reality of it is everyone puts money into their jeep to make it the way they want it and not to get a higher resale value and if they do there INSANE!!!!!! just my thoughts

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2003, 09:08 AM   #12
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

I agree with scottahicks. I know a guy that's selling a 95 YJ with a 4 banger for $5000. It's got a little over 80k miles on it and everything is perfect and it's mostly stock. I believe it's about $1000 under KBB or more. You can do better.
Unread 03-21-2003, 03:03 AM   #13
Sandman74

3500 in reciepts? What a quitter! I bet most of us have 3 times that in reciepts and have a wish list 3 times longer than that. This poor guy didnt realize that Jeeps are never finished... 3500, God I wish I only had 3500 in reciepts. If you do buy, be realistic about what you have and what you will have to spend in the future. As you know spending the kind of money we do is hard to rationalize to some people, but for the love of god, at the end of the day you are driving a Jeep and that s all anyone really needs.
peace
sandman74

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.