Forever Leaking Dana 300 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Forever Leaking Dana 300

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Forever Leaking Dana 300

I'm at my wits end with trying to seal the pan on my Dana 300. I've looked on here as well as Googled this and have tried just gasket, gasket with RTV, and just RTV. I can't seem to get the pan to seal. I've cleaned all the surfaces until they shine before I put it back together and also don't over torque the bolts. Any ideas? Rob

robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

How long do you leave the rtv to cure before you fill it up? Is the flange on the pan nice and flat.....especially around the holes?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Check the breather hole. If its plugged, the internal pressure by the heated fluid will cause a leak. A friend of mine runs his breathers through an air/water separator then to engine vacuum. NEVER has a leak.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
robs7
1983 CJ7 

The pan is very flat. The last time I tried I used only ultra black RTV and let it sit hand tight for 24 hours. Then lightly snugged it up. The leaks always seem to be around the bolts on the tranny side of the pan no matter what I use. Rob

Sorry, I got that wrong. I waited 24 hours before filling it. I let the pan sit hand tight for only an hour and then snugged it up.
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Are you sure it's the pan. I thought mine was too; chased it for weeks. Turned out to be weeping from front output seal down to pan.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The 3 places I always see them leak is the back of the main shaft , the shim area at the rear input bearing ( to the right of the main shaft), and the front yoke. All will run down and look like the pan.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
agear
1984 CJ7 

Ive done the bottom cover on mine 5 times and it always leaked. This last time I tried "the right stuff" for the first time. No gasket. It comes out of the can kinda whipped up and tacky and doesnt want to smear smooth. I was doing it in the light rain and was sure it was gonna leak but Lo and Behold it didn't. It's a winner in my book. These days I clean the surfaces good so in the end no residue gets on my rag with when I wipe it with brake cleaner and of course get of the old rtv etc. off. I waited atleast over night but can't exactly remember how much longer.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs7 View Post
The pan is very flat. The last time I tried I used only ultra black RTV and let it sit hand tight for 24 hours. Then lightly snugged it up. The leaks always seem to be around the bolts on the tranny side of the pan no matter what I use. Rob

Sorry, I got that wrong. I waited 24 hours before filling it. I let the pan sit hand tight for only an hour and then snugged it up.
It totally blows my mind why folks think putting a new torque or snugging up the bolts on a freshly dried glued together part is a good idea. Can we say how to blow a glue or RTV seal in one easy lesson?

Hey, you are not alone, I see and read of folks doing this all the time, usually in why does it still leak threads....

The directions on the Ultra Black RTV clearly state to torque the part immediately for a reason. Once it has set it is done. If you then go and tighten it again after it is set, you will blow the seal.

Also not using a torque wrench on the cover can make them leak easy. Saying you snug them up strongly implies you are just hand tightening them.

That said, I would also make sure the vent is clear as mentioned.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would check the vent. I have all mine run to the firewall. I didn't have a filter and a spider or something made a nest. Almost pulled my tranny before I figured it out
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain
It totally blows my mind why folks think putting a new torque or snugging up the bolts on a freshly dried glued together part is a good idea. Can we say how to blow a glue or RTV seal in one easy lesson? Hey, you are not alone, I see and read of folks doing this all the time, usually in why does it still leak threads.... The directions on the Ultra Black RTV clearly state to torque the part immediately for a reason. Once it has set it is done. If you then go and tighten it again after it is set, you will blow the seal. Also not using a torque wrench on the cover can make them leak easy. Saying you snug them up strongly implies you are just hand tightening them. That said, I would also make sure the vent is clear as mentioned.
Just so that I understand you correctly. You say to immediately torque the pan after applying the RTV correct? My ultra black directions call for assembling it immediately and then tighten another half turn after curing for one hour. Maybe that's what I am doing wrong. Maybe I'm blowing the gasket with that half turn an hour later. The vent is clear and ran with new hose up the firewall. Thanks, Rob
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
robs7
1983 CJ7 

I just wanted to say thanks for the help. I sealed it over the weekend and used "the right stuff". Torqued it immediately and resisted the urge to snug them a little bit more! Leak free! Thanks again. Lesson learned. Rob

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.