Ford shock towers on 73' CJ5 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ford shock towers on 73' CJ5

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
RARECJ8

easy to C/P from PB when on the big computer,but from the ipad mini, not as easy...

older pic showing front tower placement. used some U shaped weld-on shock mounting tabs and placed that directly on top of axle tube. Current tires 37" MTRs. (wish i could find more of the 'old' style MTRs, argh...)

another--- seems so many modifications ago, but you can see the stance of front shock.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
RARECJ8

found some more

hey, watcht hat hammer swing! LOL

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
Unread 01-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
Stumpfarming
1974 CJ5 

I see that you gusseted the sides of the tower to the frame on the front. The front mounts are also canted out quite a bit, while your rear towers are mounted more vertically. I'm thinking that with the narrower axles I have, I will likely need to mount my front towers at an angle similar to how you have the rear set up, and I will need to set both front and rear with substantially less out boarding. I'm thinking about trying to use the stock lower mounts, unless this pulls the shock in too close to the frame that it rubs at full extension. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for the photos. They are always helpful!
Stumpfarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #19
cw05
1984 CJ7 

(wish i could find more of the 'old' style MTRs, argh...)

Here are some "lightly used" ones:

http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Goodye...ake-Off-s.html
cw05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #20
RARECJ8

16.5 is a no no, thats why they're so cheap. I need17"

and yes, we gusseted the front towers. Lots of stress and leverage on flimsy CJ frame. The to-do list includes an engine cross support to tie both towers together under hood.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.