Ford 9 inch axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ford 9 inch axle swap

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Ford 9 inch axle swap

So I blew up my amc 20 today. I do have a complete replacement however it is welded and the gears are heavily worn. So I dont expect it to last long against my 360. I plan on getting a ford truck 9 inch to swap in. I dont care about width really but my main concern for the swap is the u joint. Are they the same as the cjs is there a adapted on available? What have others done. Im trying to avoid making a new driveshaft. Any ideas guys.

Unread 04-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

The yoke will most likely be a 1330 and you have a 1310, not the end of the world. Pick up a converter joint or find the correct yoke. The bigger issue is the 1 1/2" lower pinon effecting you driveshaft length. Also not that it matters to you but it is about 10'' wider,
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Thanks I thought it would be something like that for the u joint. I bought a hybrid joint before years ago for a van that I had to replace a yoke on. So you think since the pinion being lower will reqiure a longer shaft length? If so thats fine as I think my shaft was a lil short already with my lift. Maybe the difference will be enough that I can use a cj7 shaft I have lying around. I may also be thinking of using a offset plate at the perch to give me another 1/2". As far as width goes, my tires rub the wheel wells (maybe 1/2" clearance at rest as it is now and could easily stand about 3 inches on each side. And Im running 2 difftent sets of wheels 15x10 with 4.5 bs up front and 15x10 w/ 3"bs in the rear. I figure by swapping those front to rear I would negate another 3 inches of axle width. And be left with only an inch wider than desired.

Thanks again for the advice.
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You might run into problems with the driveshaft anyway since the pinion is lower on a 9". You've got a lift already and a lower pinion means more angle on the driveshaft. A double cardan joint might be needed and that means a new driveshaft.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Im hoping I wont have to get into one of those, I only have a tired 2.5" inch lift(so maybe 2" and about an inch in shackle and mount. The 9 inch yoke would have to be pretty low to need a dc/cvand I simply dont have the money. Just went out and did some measuring and with a cj7 shaft i have and with a 1" rear offset spring mount(my axle is centered curiously far forward in my wheel well) the neutral length of my shaft (cj7) will need to be shortened by 2.5". If the extra length required for the 9" yoke position is less than 2.5" i should be able to shorten the shaft by an inch or so and be fine with it.
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Thanks for the input.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Thanks for the help, just picked up 9 with 3.50 gears for $125 its going to make my tires stick out 6 inches further on each side, but i will live with it for a while.

My plans are to run it as is and look for a suitable front to match it then re gear and add lunchbox lockers to both and set them up spring over with 38s. But for now im gonna have the 80s muscle car wide rear stance.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.