ford 8.8 in my 83 cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ford 8.8 in my 83 cj7

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-29-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Big-L

ford 8.8 in my 83 cj7

I would like to swap my amc 20 out of my 83 cj7 for a ford 8.8. has anyone one done this. I see alot on the web about putting the 8.8 in th yj/tj but not the cj. why is this? thanks Big-L

Big-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2004, 08:17 AM   #2
rustyCJ

cjs use 5x5.5 wheel bolt pattern
yj/tjs use 5x4.5 wheel bolt pattern
ford 8.8 uses a 5x4.5 wheel bolt pattern
ford 8.8 axle flanges dont have enough material to be redrilled to 5x5.5 wheel bolt pattern
the cost needed to swap an 8.8 under a cj out weighs the gain.

the reason the axle is so popular with yj/tj owners is becuase its a pretty low buck upgrade over the crappy D35 because all that is needed is to bolt the axle under the jeep and the swap is done. this wouldnt be the case with a swap into a cj. due to the 8.8s width it would either need narrowed or youd have to swap out the D30 front for something wider.

these are just a couple reasons why the 8.8 isnt a good cj swap and there are others.
Unread 05-30-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would try to locate a Scout rear Dana 44 and use that. Same bolt pattern, and I believe the almost the same width as the Widetrac AMC 20 in your CJ. Just have to move the spring perches in a bit.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.