Fold and Tumble Rear Seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fold and Tumble Rear Seats

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-09-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

Fold and Tumble Rear Seats

Can someone post a picture of their CJ with Rear Seat sitting normal for normal use and another picture folded and tumbled please.

Trying to see whether or not I want a fold and tumble or a stationary one like Mastercraft/Beard.

Thanks.............

Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
killersheep

Get a fold and tumble. It gives you "trunk" space when you need it......
86 CJ7 Laredo- '98 4.0L , '94 Fuel Injection and Electronics, 2 1/2" skyjacker, 3/4" Rock Crusher shackle , 1" body lift, T5, DANA 300, D30 front w/Aussie locker , amc 20 rear w/Aussie locker and Moser axles, 3.31 gears, and 32" BFG MT's.
killersheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 06:50 AM   #3
Xrossed

I'll get you a shot of mine tonight... You definately want a F & T.
Like the post above mentions, it gives you space when you need it.

Note: During my install (easy) it was necessary to drill two holes in the wheel wells for the mounting bracket on the rear lock. I hate drilling perfectly good metal!!
The bracket leaves the wheel well with an unsightly chunk of hardware above the rear tires in plain view... being a Quality Engineer, I hate this.

I used some clear RTV sealant (silicon) on the bottom of the bracket mount and then neatly removed the excess... this prevents water from getting between the two metals.... Then I painted over it all with a color that matched my wells ( white)

You'll definately want to do this...due to the fact that there is drilled metal PLUS the contact of dissimilar metals and the ability of water to get between them especailly in an area like the wheel well where the tires are constantly "bathing" that mount.

Piss-poor design on the mounting by Bestops part if you ask me...But its a sweet seat!

Also: I got the "Aqua" F & T (neoprene)... I'm sending it back this week for a Black Denim.
I have had it installed for exactly 2 weeks and its already fading!!! and its fading Fast! whats up with that? they know its a Jeep seat and they make it out of material that fades in two weeks?

If anyone has different seats or coverings Id be interested in knowing how well the different materials hold up.
Xrossed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

Thanks and looking forward to the pics. When you mounted it, did you mount it flush towards the tailgate or did you leave yourself some space for storing items? I want to increase the leg room for rear passengers since the 5's are nearly 10" shorter then the 7's.

Thanks and good luck with the Denim swap.......Neoprene is known to fade very badly just as an fyi. You are paying for the concept of weather-proof seats, not fade proof seats. Good luck again.
Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
att1cus

I'd like to see a picture, too. I found what I think are the seat mounts, and started there, but the seat seemed way too close to the front seat. I had to drill holes in the bottom, too, but I haven't completed the installation.

Did you put rear seat belts in? I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of how they're mounted if you did. Or anyone else's for that matter...thanks.

Also, on the neoprene--I have Wet Okole seat covers in my Tundra and I've heard complaints that the colored portions fade over time. I bought all black ones and they haven't faded at all. The seat I bought is also an Aqua F&T, black denim. Xrossed, is that what you had originally that started to fade? I'm gonna be bummed if that's the case...
att1cus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
Xrossed

Ill Post the pics when I get home from work. Itll be good information.

My seat is mountedapproximately 4-5 inches back from that tiny "step-up" in the CJ7's cargo area. This allows room for the passengers. any further back, I found that the legs get more reclined and calves (back of legs) will rest on that litttle step (uncomfortable) also, with the seat down and in use, ths mounting allows for about a foot and a half (approx) of storage..... the best of both worlds.

Any more towards the front is uncomfortable and tight.... any more to the rear robs you of cargo space... Check back for the pics this evening.
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
Xrossed

On the seat.. it is a Aqua Neoprene... two weeks later and the top is starting to fade.
I'm switching to a black denim, and then Ill buy a cover.

4wd.com sent me the return number... I hope they dont think I'm removing all that hardware too!
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Xrossed

Pictures that were promised...

This shows my seat folded and tumbled with room availabe.. notice the seat belts and their locations
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1235.jpg

This one shows that when folded and tumbled the seeat sits perfectly against the front seats....Im getting the most space I can
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1239.jpg

I'm pointing to the location of the center seatbelt mount hole, Although I didnt' use it. it is directly in line with the other two mount holes near the wheel wells
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1238.jpg

This is a top down view of the seat in the down position. You can see the location of the seatin regards to teh rest of the tub layout.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1240.jpg

Here's a shot of the front... It give a good look at the foot room and forward location of the seat
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1241.jpg

The Front mount hole... Is my tub in great shape or what!!!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1242.jpg

another pic of the front and location and my tub
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1243.jpg

Lastly, The seatbelt and its mount
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1244.jpg

Hope that helps
Unread 08-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
att1cus

Xrossed---

Thanks a lot for the pics. Very helpful, especially the seat belt locations. I have an idea of what I need to do now. Where'd you get those seat belts? Or are they stock?

Much appreciated.
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrossed
Hope that helps
Great and thanks for taking the time to snap those. One question.........did you mount that seat in the original location or is this modified with new mounting points?

Thanks again.......you have tons of room in there both front and rear of the seat.
Unread 08-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #11
Xrossed

The Seat belt is a single.... Its 74" long. I used the factory mounts in the rear.
You can mount two separate seatbelts if you want using the center hole I'm pointing to in that one photo, and using a "Y" arrangement.

A 60" seat belt might work but I've found that the 74" gives plenty of extra for two people to share if needed.

The forward bolts on the front mount are in the factory holes and I had to drill two more for the rear ( of the front mount) and I used a Huge washer as a floor retainer for strength... The washer was about 3" in diameter.

I can get you a pic of underneath if you need it.
Unread 08-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #12
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
The forward bolts on the front mount are in the factory holes and I had to drill two more for the rear ( of the front mount) and I used a Huge washer as a floor retainer for strength... The washer was about 3" in diameter.

I can get you a pic of underneath if you need it.
Ok, I think I am following you. So what you are saying is that the front brackets are in the factory front mounts? Why did you have to drill holes for the rear brackets if the Jeep already had the seat installed? I'm easily lost.......it's 3:30am in Hawaii and there are no movies playing tonight to keep me awake since I am at work.
Unread 08-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #13
Xrossed

Lmao

The 2 front brackets require two holes each ( a front hole and a rear hole)
the front hole is the factory hole...I drilled the rear mount hole of the "front" brackets, then added a large washer underneath ( 2 places, left and right aft hole on the front mount)

The rear mounts are attached to the wheel well sides (see pic)

Seatbelts mounted rightup to factory holes. I ommited the center due to the fact I didnt want cargo getting snagged on it etc and having a seat belt jutting up from the center of the florr.
Unread 08-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #14
att1cus

Quote:
Seatbelts mounted rightup to factory holes. I ommited the center due to the fact I didnt want cargo getting snagged on it etc and having a seat belt jutting up from the center of the florr.
Hmmm...good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I think I'm going to rip off your setup and do the same. Hope you don't mind!

Thanks again for the info...
Unread 08-10-2005, 07:36 PM   #15
Xrossed

LOL.. no I dont mind....
Heres a pic of the forward mount from underneath the jeep... Notice the forward bolt going through the Factory nutplate... .and then the rear bolt hole that I drilled and add a "Ginormous" washer for strength

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CIMG1247.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.