Fog light wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fog light wiring

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Fog light wiring

I am installing new Hella 500 fog lights and don't understand why I have to tie into the headlights. I want to be able to use the lights Independently of the headlights. The instructions show tying into the high beam headlight wiring. Can I skip this step? Any help would be appreciated.

Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Aphelion79

Yeah, they just want them to only be able to be turned on, if you have your high beams on... you don't HAVE to do that...
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Wolf359
WOLF359

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's a simple wiring diagram to hook up the lights to a manual switch.

Wolf359 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I went to Hellas web site and found different instructions. They say that for off road use only tap into parking lamp wire to operate lamps independently from high and low beams. Parking lamps must be on to operate. I can live with this setup. Thanks for the tips. My CJ7 would not run without this website.
Unread 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Notice that they said "Off road only"! Some states require fog lights to be wired to operate with low beam headlights only. Due to the way they are focused and project light, I can't think of any situation where you would want to operate only fog lights and nothing else. They are designed to compliment low beams by shining low, close and wide.
Also, you really should run their power through a relay. If you put them through the parking lights they will always be on with ANY lights. If they are high power bulbs I doubt if those parking light wires will supply enough current, unless you use them to just operate the relay (with an independant switch).

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

I hooked the relay trigger wire to a "key on only hot fuse".Then put a toggle switch in line with that to the relay.Of course the other side of the relay is hooked to battery pos. and fog lights.That way the relay is only pulling minimum power thru the toggle,but full power directly off battery.
Blue Jeep Club Member #134
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ_AE6iqis
http://www.freedomoffroad.org
CJ7Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

That's the way to do it! I also ran my DUI distributor that way, with 10 gauge wire, so I'd get maximum fire!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

The Hella kit came with a relay. The switch needs a small current to work the relay. The install was not bad and the lights work great. Went offroad last night and was pleased with added light. I may convert the headlights to a relay as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.