Flywheel / Starter noise ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flywheel / Starter noise ??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-13-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
Guy Hollister

Flywheel / Starter noise ??

Annoying spinning grinding sound...

Only on start... and lasts for about 3-4 seconds - I believe its the flywheel contacting badly with the starter... once it jammed into the starter and because its auto it was a PAIN in the BUTT... I had to get a tow off the farm to get the starter off and free it from the flywheel... its also exactly below my sheared dipstick pipe which means I got COVERED in oil head to toe. Nice.

When I removed the starter I bothered to inspect the flywheel and noticed quite a few teeth were 1/2 chipped off... on the outside edge - contacting with starter edge.

It hasn't been making that noise for a long time - but recently just started making it again.

Help !?

Cheers
Guy

Unread 01-13-2002, 11:40 AM   #2
Darko

How old is your starter? Maybe the starter gear which engages the gear isn't disengagin properly.
Unread 01-14-2002, 02:03 AM   #3
Guy Hollister

No idea - may be the original... 1984....

G
Unread 01-18-2002, 07:56 AM   #4
Rip

It a quick fix, well kinda of. you can have your ring gear flipped on the flywheel and get some more use out of it. I did that cause I had the same problem. and no money to buy a new one (flywheel) One solution is to get some never cease(sp) grease and apply a little on the starter shaft where the gear slides on the shaft (Bendix) It helped mine.sometimes it gets dirty and doesn't quite enguage all the way. ....Rip
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.