Flywheel, clutch ? on rebuilt motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flywheel, clutch ? on rebuilt motor

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Flywheel, clutch ? on rebuilt motor

The short story is I had an 83 258 that needed to be rebuilt but there was a chip out of the block where one of the waterpump bolts went so I sourced another "83" block to be rebuilt. Unfortunately I bought it sight unseen and the seller mis-read the build date and the motor was actually a '79. So the machine shop who rebuilds Jeep motors for the local Jeep specialty shop rebuilt the '79 block and used the 83 head. The shop drilled out the head bolts holes so the 83 head would fit (said he had done it several times). I have an aftermarket aluminum valve cover that I wanted to keep. So my questions are:

1. It appears the flywheel and clutch are different part numbers on the 79 vs. the 83. So I should not use the 83 flywheel I have and buy a new one specifically for the 79? The 79 i bought was and automatic so no flywheel came with it.

2. What is your opinion on re-using the flywheel bolts? Exact replacements don't appear readily available. ARP has them for the 4.0. Would those work?

I guess the question really is I should consider this a '79 motor except for parts directly related to the head/intake/exhaust manifold?

Thanks for your feedback....

Chris
'83 CJ7 (258 4spd)
Austin TX

cdt540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Do not reuse f'wheel bolts.
I have no clue about 4.0 f'wheel bolts.
What you are looking for, is to NOT have the bolts protrude from the back side of the crank.
Your shop should be able to short'n a bolt with ease on a lathe.
LG
Unread 02-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Agree, do not reuse flywheel or clutch bolts.

As for the flywheel, the only thing I ever ran into was two different set of clutch housing holes on some flywheels although I've only ever seen one diameter for the clutch ever recommended on those CJ's.

The clutch would be different because different transmissions were available between those years. I think is 79 only the T-150 or T-18 was available were as in 83 you had the T-5, T-4 T-176 Available.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Agree, do not reuse flywheel or clutch bolts.

As for the flywheel, the only thing I ever ran into was two different set of clutch housing holes on some flywheels although I've only ever seen one diameter for the clutch ever recommended on those CJ's.

The clutch would be different because different transmissions were available between those years. I think is 79 only the T-150 or T-18 was available were as in 83 you had the T-5, T-4 T-176 Available.
So as far as you know the flywheels on a '79 and '83 are the same (teeth, weight, etc) except for the clutch mounting holes. So as long as I buy the clutch kit for an '83 I should be OK? I am running out of project $$$ and I really don't want to have to buy another flywheel (already paid to have the 83 resurfaced). I don't want to cut any any corners at this point but more $$$ means more delays and spring is coming....!
Unread 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

I think 83 had a bellows type clutch standard. 79 had the lever type. How strong is your left leg? Good knees?
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
kirbot
1981 CJ7 

I actually did reuse the flywheel bolts...

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have just spent the money to replace them for the peace of mind.
But... No problems yet, and I doubt there will be any.
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

It appears that the '83 flywheel will work on the 79 motor. Although many suppliers show different parts number many show the same also. The same goes for pressure plates. where the difference appears is in the clutch plate and pilot bearing. The 83 shows a 10 tooth 1 1/8 spline while the 79 shows a ten tooth 1 1/16th spline. So it would seem to me that the flywheel is OK and if I purchase an '83 clutch kit to mate up to my T-5 I should be OK. Does that seem reasonable? Certainly someone has mated a T-5 to a '79 and prior CJ and had to deal with this isse. This is definitely something I don't want to get wrong and have to go back in...

Thanks again....

Chris
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
CSP

You definitely have it all figured there. The only real difference is the clutch disc because of the input shaft diameters.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Great...thanks all for the feedback!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.