Fluids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fluids

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Fluids

Is there any issue running royal purple 75w-90 in tcase, tranny and diffs?

LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

The FSM calls for 80wt GL-4 in the transmission & transfer case.
Differentials are 80-90wt GL-5 for open, & Trac-Loks want 80-90wt GL-5 LIMITED SLIP.

Personally, I would NOT use a GL-5 oil where GL-5 oil is called out. GL-5 has a higher sulphur content which will attack brass components. A differential has no brass parts, so the GL-5 is useful.

The oil weight is probably fine. Worry about the additives.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot
The FSM calls for 80wt GL-4 in the transmission & transfer case. Differentials are 80-90wt GL-5 for open, & Trac-Loks want 80-90wt GL-5 LIMITED SLIP. Personally, I would NOT use a GL-5 oil where GL-5 oil is called out. GL-5 has a higher sulphur content which will attack brass components. A differential has no brass parts, so the GL-5 is useful. The oil weight is probably fine. Worry about the additives.
I saw most people recomending the 75w-80, but I couldn't find any...it's just crazy how different this stuff can be when it looks so similar...
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
CSP

Royal Purple is a synthetic and synthetic GL5s don't have the sulphur that eats yellow metals. It should be fine in all of the gearboxes.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
Royal Purple is a synthetic and synthetic GL5s don't have the sulphur that eats yellow metals. It should be fine in all of the gearboxes.
Thanks...it ain't cheap and I wanted to cover them all

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.