Fluid for a T-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fluid for a T-5

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-18-2002, 02:41 PM   #1
Petey

Fluid for a T-5

I ‘ve been working on my transmission, a T-5, and I am about ready to fill it back up with fluid. However, I have been unable to find out what to put back in it. My Haynes manual gives me a Jeep part number and this number means nothing to the local Jeep dealer and the Chilton manual says to use Dexron II. The fluid that came out of the tranny looks like a gear oil (90W).
Anybody know?

Unread 02-18-2002, 02:54 PM   #2
West

use the dexron II
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2002, 04:29 PM   #3
KeenCJ7

I had the same problem when I had a T5 and I read some where that dextron II would work but was not reccomended. After a couple trips to the Jeep dealer and a couple different parts people later, A guy understood my problem and actually ordered me some of the oil. It is a real light weight oil, but I cant remember if the part# was still the same. The guy had to pull out an old manual to find the stuff. What ever you do don't put 90w back in, it will screw up yo syncros
KeenCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2002, 04:54 PM   #4
jeepster18_88

The T5 in my '85 CJ7 calls for GL-4 80w90. The dana 300 transfer case calls for GL-5 85w90. I couldn't find either one anywhere so I asked a mechanic that I know that works mainly on Jeeps. He also owns 3 of them. He said to use the GL-5 80w90 for the both the T5 and the Dana 300. I replaced the fluid in my tranny and now it shifts so much smoother. The dexron will screw up your tranny but not the 80w90. That's the stuff that the factory had in it. As for the GL rating, 5 is just better quality than the 4. Hope it helps.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.