Fluid in dana 25 steering knuckles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fluid in dana 25 steering knuckles?

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
hyperider

Fluid in dana 25 steering knuckles?

Hi everyone. I am restoring a 50' CJ 3a. I got a concern regarding the fluid in the steering knuckles. The seals are a felt/rubber deal but don't look like they will hold oil without seeping out. Any suggestions? Anyone doing anything different fluid wise? This jeep has been dead for over 30 years and there wasn't any fluid in them when I got this jeep. Also, the original seals were totally deteriorated by the time i got to them

The shop that rebuilt both axles said he has never heard of any other ideas and recommends using the proper oil. I just don't want leaks with it.

hyperider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

You need to check out earlycj5.net. They can explain the seals and knuckle pudding over there.
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Use a mixture of grease and gear oil blended together. Use your wifes baking mixer to blend it.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Use a mixture of grease and gear oil blended together. Use your wifes baking mixer to blend it.
Or you can fill the knuckle with the ingredients and simply drive around for a couple of minutes with the hubs locked in.
Do yourself a favor and pull the knuckles apart. Many times they are run dry for years, ruining the upper and lower kingpin bearings, as well as the axle u joint. This also gives you a chance to clean up the seal surfaces in order to keep the fluids inside.
The seals are still available and are relatively cheap. Don't be afraid to replace them.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
hyperider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Or you can fill the knuckle with the ingredients and simply drive around for a couple of minutes with the hubs locked in.
Do yourself a favor and pull the knuckles apart. Many times they are run dry for years, ruining the upper and lower kingpin bearings, as well as the axle u joint. This also gives you a chance to clean up the seal surfaces in order to keep the fluids inside.
The seals are still available and are relatively cheap. Don't be afraid to replace them.
Thank you everyone. I have had the whole axle apart, powder coated, and had all bearings, seals and hardware replaced. I was told it was in excellent condition.

That's an interesting mixture and sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you everyone for your input.

-Brian
hyperider is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.