Floorboard Dimmer Switch Screws? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Floorboard Dimmer Switch Screws?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
TeamPanda
1985 CJ7 

Floorboard Dimmer Switch Screws?

This seems pretty trivial but I've had to fix the floorboard dimmer switch about four times since I got my CJ back in October.

The problem seems to be that the screws are the incorrect size and so the dimmer can wobble around under foot and it keeps breaking the connection with the pigtail.

The screws in there are a couple of small self tapping sheet metal screws and I'm pretty sure these are NOT the correct ones, so if anyone can clue me in to exactly size screws or bolts it should have, I'd surely appreciate it!

Everybody keeps telling me I should mount the thing on the dash but that's just too halfassed for me.

You can debate all day long about where the name "Jeep" came from but the simple truth is, all the really good four letter words were already taken.
TeamPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Dimmer switch on the dash? WTF are those guys smoking?

You can just get some 1/4-20 bolts long enough to go though the switch mounting ears and the bottom of the floor. Put nylock nuts on the back and your done. It wont ever move again.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
TeamPanda
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Dimmer switch on the dash? WTF are those guys smoking?
Dude, I'm from Arkansas. They're not high, just redneck.

Quote:
You can just get some 1/4-20 bolts long enough to go though the switch mounting ears and the bottom of the floor. Put nylock nuts on the back and your done. It wont ever move again.
It looks to me like there are already nuts spotted onto the bottom side of the floorboard for this purpose. Will the the 1/4-20s fit through there?

You can debate all day long about where the name "Jeep" came from but the simple truth is, all the really good four letter words were already taken.
TeamPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
oilfieldhand
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamPanda View Post
Dude, I'm from Arkansas. They're not high, just redneck.
HEYHEY get it right it HILLBILLY us rednecks have a lil class well at least this one does and hate halfassed the jeep I just got has got wires hangin it just why do ppl do stupid sorry had to rant a lil
oilfieldhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
oilfieldhand
1976 CJ7 

oh yeah I got the same problem mines not even screwed down not effort was made to even attempt it
oilfieldhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Most of mine use the little plastic inserts like found on license plate factory brackets. I think this was the factory way. They use a square hole.
I like the small bolt/nylock Idea, the same size as the holes in the switch.

If I did this, I would put never seize on, for sure cut the machine screw/ flush with the nut. And use some spray undercoating to seal.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Most of mine use the little plastic inserts like found on license plate factory brackets. I think this was the factory way. They use a square hole.
That's correct. Your 1985 model year will have two 3/8" or 1/2" square holes in the floor pan with plastic inserts that provide a base for the #8 Hex head sheet metal screws that hold the dimmer switch in place.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
ravenCJ
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
That's correct. Your 1985 model year will have two 3/8" or 1/2" square holes in the floor pan with plastic inserts that provide a base for the #8 Hex head sheet metal screws that hold the dimmer switch in place.

the Fred Flinstone mod!
ravenCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
davegt
1983 CJ5 

Putting the switch up off the floor was the best thing i did...no worries of it getting wet or kicking it. IMO the reason alot of people has problems with these switches is because they r on the floor...but im a stupid newfie so what do i know ..lol
davegt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

My Dad had Jeeps for so many years with the floor mounted dimmer switch that when he got a new truck with the dimmer on the left multi-function switch, he kept getting his foot caught in the steering wheel every time he tried to dim his headlights.....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

You can always confuse people and use one that is a temporary contact style switch as a starter switch up and to the right of the gas pedal like in my 42 GPW.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenCJ View Post
the Fred Flinstone mod!
Good heat coming off the exhaust pipe in the winter too!

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
fyrdeputy
1983 CJ7 

Mine didn't have the plastic plugs. Went with 10-24 screw and nylock, and have had no problems. I also took a thin 3/16 or so piece of rubber and put between the switch and floor. Just a little added water/dirt protection.
fyrdeputy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

since i have a yj tub i had to mount it wherever i wanted and i just used a couple self tapping screws. been there about a year and havent had any problems. still mounted nice and solid. i think part of it is that i have a cage that bolts to the floorpan so in order for me to kick the switch it would be an un natural motion, so the switch doesnt get accidentally kicked
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
SirCrisp
1985 CJ7 

I replaced my dimmer switch a few days ago because whenever I would hit it there would be about a 30% of the lights actually coming back on. Rusty terminals
SirCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.