floor pan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > floor pan

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

floor pan

Hi quick question i am in the process of replacing my floor pan and it seem the last po did it also but the just spot welded and seem filled the rest now my question is what is the right way the way they did it or fully weld it

Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

The correct method would be to remove all of the rusty metal and weld in new sheet metal, welding the entire seam. If the old tub has enough damage in enough areas then it might be more work than you care for, and the best solution could be to find a better tub.
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Ya trust me if i could afford a new tub id do it but mines not to bad although the deeper i go the odder things the po show up like they welded a piece of metal from my door jam all the way down to my floor pan on the exterior and the made it look really good on the out side but the inside looks like a hack job
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbjeep View Post
.. made it look really good on the out side but the inside looks like a hack job
Yeah, I can believe that.

I guess what it comes down to is how much time and effort you want to put into repairing it the right way. I have seen threads here on tub repair that showed am amazing degree of numerous and precise sheet metal repairs on rusty tubs. I've seen people just repair some of the more visible and problem-prone areas. I've also read descriptions of people pulling out plywood, roofing flashing, and cardboard that were riveted or glued over the rust holes
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Ya an old family friend inherited a 69 bronco the floors were really rusted and his father in law had shoved tin foil in the holes and covered it with some sort of epoxy
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
sgtusmc_nc
1978 CJ5 

newbjeep its funny you say that about a bronco, when I bought my 71 the PO welded sheet metal over top of the old floor and then used some kind of floor covering to cover it all up!!! finaly i just decided to take the whole tub off and go to town with an angle grinder and a sawzaw to get rid of the old crap. I understand trail rigging things but some of the crap people do never seems to suprise me
sgtusmc_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.