Flat towing / tow bar /CJ-7 with Dana 300 Transfer case - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flat towing / tow bar /CJ-7 with Dana 300 Transfer case

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
CSP

The way I look at it is that it's a matter of when, not if.

I've done a lot of things that I've gotten away with, knowing that they could go bad. That doesn't mean I made the right choice just because they didn't go bad when attempted.

CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

In the last 6 weeks I have towed the CJ 5500 miles around the west behind the RV and another 3k before I get home. Before that probably more than 10k in over 20 years. Disconnect the rear DS, unlock the front hubs and it makes no difference where you leave the tranny and TC levers. But to be safe I put the TC in neutral, reach under and make sure the front DS turns freely, then there is no worry. Just make sure your front and rear wheel/axle bearings are in good shape. Last thing you want is to look in the rearview mirror/camera and see a flaming pile of Jeep behind you. I tow with a 10 ton motor home and use an auxiliary brake (Brake Buddy). Tow behind a pickup or SUV and you can easily have the tail wagging the dog. I know, I flat towed it 15 years behind Safari van with no auxiliary brake. Many states require aux brakes. And I have a checklist on my phone I go through every time I hook it up.

I used to just disconnect the rear DS and hang it on the muffler, but now I remove it, wrap the u-joints in 2 layers of electrical tape and stuff it in a piece of 4” PVC pipe with a cap on one end and a screw plug on the other and lay it on the rear floor. And when I replace it I torque the strap bolts to 16 ft-lbs. Takes 10 minutes in or out.

And I am still using the original a-frame tow bar purchased 20 years ago. Break away cable is not shown in the pic. I have no idea why in the world you would leave the front hubs locked, leaving everything to spin when the purpose of the hubs is to unlock everything.
img_8361-800x600-.jpg

Unread 09-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

There is no requirement for a secondary braking system when towing a motor vehicle. A trailer yes, anything over 1500 lbs GVWR.
LG
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Small car hauler trailer solves all problems and concerns, plus has brakes. Hitch on Jeep spots unloaded trailer where you want it, easily.
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Trailer=$$$ plus storage concerns.
I used a Featherlite for years. Sold it and just flat tow now.

LG
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

After considering all the options, I will be buying a 16 enclosed trailer to put the Jeep into for towing and use the same trailer for winter storage of the Jeep.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

It's your money, to do as you want.
Think you mind was set, BEFORE you posted.............
LG
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #23
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
It's your money, to do as you want.
Think you mind was set, BEFORE you posted.............
LG

I had no idea what I was going to do before I posted, thank you very much.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
rcsutton
2010 JK Wrangler 

$3500.00 later

I flat towed my Jeep for years everything in neutral. 350 miles from my house this spring somehow the Jeep went into gear not sure what happened, but from the cracked bell housing to the yoke of the rear end was grenaded. In Milwaukee I had to replace the bell housing, transfer case, tranny OK?, the driveshaft and yoke. Believe me take the 5 minutes or so and disconnect the driveshaft. It's an expensive lesson. And I did make sure everything was in neutral.
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Browsing this plus RV forums I have found many incidents of unintended damage, as above, caused to the toad by forgetfulness, mistakes, etc. I have towed a Sidekick many, many miles without problems but have forgotten to put in one pin when distracted by a park employee complaining about me doing the tow bar hookup on the grass. Thankfully no damage, having been alerted by another driver. Have blown a tire on the toad and damaged body. Have tried to start towing before setting all shift mechanisms as required. Yes the initial expense is higher for the trailer but then you have at least partially offset the cost of the trailer and it is useful for so many other things. At my age (69) I certainly don't want to crawl around on the ground twice per trip for disconnecting a drive shaft.
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #26
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
At my age (69) I certainly don't want to crawl around on the ground twice per trip for disconnecting a drive shaft.
I feel very fortunate that ay my age (66), I don't mind crawling around on the ground to remove and reattach a driveshaft. Helps to have a 3.5" lift and a ground cloth. Not so fun when it is raining.
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Not so fun? Exactly my point!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.