Flat towing my '72 CJ5 for 1K miles...Any thoughts? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flat towing my '72 CJ5 for 1K miles...Any thoughts?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #31
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
19 MPG would be awesome. I'm only getting about 12.5 with mixed driving. I could do better tuning it but don't want to tempt myself with more power and encourage the motor to start breaking. I will fix things the right way on it as they are needed (studs, oil cooler, etc) but am content at the moment to just monitor how the engine is doing.

This is going to be a real quick trip for us, we are leaving next Thursday mid day and coming home Saturday night. We aren't going to hit any real tough trails since the other rig is a 2013 JKU Rubicon. He has put a ton of money into it but hasn't been able to decide on which lift to go with. We are going to play it conservative for both of our sakes and will go from there. We tried to hit a local trail last weekend but weren't able to find it since neither of us had been out there before.
12.5 was the norm until this last go around and I had to replace the FICM (rebuild is more correct) It was done by Ed the ficm guy LOL and he put a fleet "econo" tune in it while he repaired it. So no tuner hooked to it just a scangauge II. Seems like us 6.0 guys need more than two eyes. We need at least one to watch the road while the other two are watching hpop psi and deltas. I did the egr delete too, NO more $200 egr valves every 10k miles.

Enjoy your trip!

WSS

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

pull he drive shaft and tow dolly it.
my 72 the day I bought it.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Looks like a solid way to do it. Thanks for the pic.

Just called sunbelt and they absolutely do not rent trailers to haul vehicles. Equipment only. I asked the wrong questions.
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #34
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thats too bad. I told my store exactly what I wanted to use it for and they said it would not be a problem. They said they had plenty of trailers and that I wouldn't even need to reserve it or anything. The only thing I might suggest is to call another store and see what they say. I know things can be more expensive in CA but it may be worth it to drive a few miles to pick one up from another store if they are okay with what you are wanting to use it for.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #35
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

I didn't read through the whole thread so don't know if you've made a firm decision yet but I flat towed my '76 Bronco when I had it from San Diego to Lexington Park MD with a 2dr Ford Explorer and a 5 spd. I pulled the rear drive shaft and left the front unlocked and didn't notice any tire wear. The Bronco had a 4" lift and 33x12.50 BFG Mud Terrains. I also ran into the kind of rain that seems to fall up instead of down, and in that storm a big uhaul truck pulled directly in fornt of me making me test the ABS on the explorer. I down-shifted here and there but maintained my speed no problem. I pulled the Bronco because it weighed about 200 lbs less then the Explorer even though the Bronco had the bigger engine. 5 liter vs 4. The Explorer also had better climate control. An expedition surely is up to the task of hauling a CJ.
geneapodaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #36
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

I think I am close to deciding to flat tow it. It would save $400 up front. I tried doing a one way with uhaul and it was going to be $330 to Williams. So why not just tow it back and have it for seven days. I figure if I run nto trouble, I can rent one along the way, Williams, Kingman, Needles or wherever the wind takes us LOL.

$400 would buy my Edelbrock manifold and the fabbed aluminum valve covers I have been drooling over.
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #37
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Chickened out, bought a trailer. It is a 16' Carson trailer, mid range quality. Towed good. I used a rachet binder on the back so I could fine tune the location of the Jeep. Found that an inch sag at the tow vehicle bumper provided the best feel, no wagging and not too much tongue weight. Got 10.6mpg towing, not bad considering it only gets 13mpg towing my butt around.

WSS

Kingman:

Ludlow "dairy" queen:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.