Flat towing my '72 CJ5 for 1K miles...Any thoughts? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flat towing my '72 CJ5 for 1K miles...Any thoughts?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
40 it will be. We are headed to your neck of the woods. That last jog into Willliams nets me about 2mpg pulling my 26' travel trailer.

We will be staying at the KOA there. any suggestions for some day trips? I figure Bearizona is out of the question with just a bikini top LOL.
Who needs to be appeased on the trip and what are the demands?
Camping on the North Rim is awesome, but you need to plan. Also best to have a partner.

Jeeping alone? Safest place to play is around Sedona because it's busy. Have babysitters for the kids for an evening? Are we looking for adventures? History? Archeology?

Unread 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Be sure to go into Williams at night, this little town is pretty cool.

I guess your going to the Grand Canyon? My wife and I were there last year, to be honest we were both a little disappointed in the view from the south rim. I thought it would be more of a shear drop off, the Colorado river seemed like a long way away.
Be sure to see the movie on your way in to the park. After viewing from the south rim, get in the Jeep and drive west along the canyon ( can't remember the route, but it's the only road East) stop at every pull off ( 5 miles apart roughly). Keep driving East until you get to the building that looks like a lighthouse, and go up in it. The view gets better at every stop.

We came in from the Western side of the canyon. We also did a ton of research ( via iPhone) after leaving Las Vegas, pertaining to the Skywalk. After many bad reviews we didn't go there. It was expensive, couldn't take pictures from the Skywalk, food was overpriced. And the road in was Terrible, A quick Google will turn up all the info.

Don't get me wrong on the diss appointment , it was a awesome thing to see. Just better from the Eastern rim.

On the town of Williams, we were there on 2 different nights. 2 of the Restaurants had live extertainment outside, Lots of small shops, for the wife.

We also stayed at the KOA, it was clean, and I had no complaints.

On our way to the Canyon we drove thru Sedona AZ. If you go there. Take the 2 lane road that comes into the north side of town, great road, lot of curves. And all downhill. Sorry, don't remember the route #.

Have a great and safe vacation. And I would take the Jeep on a car hauler. ( with Brakes) gas mileage probably won't be much different. And you'll have someplace not on the ground to put your stuff.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

I've never had a problem flat towing the Jeep to Colorado and back.
We usually camp at Red Lake Campground just north of Williams.
My 2006 Dodge 1500 4x4 4.7 handled I40 just fine, Kingman and Williams grades were no problem.
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Who needs to be appeased on the trip and what are the demands?
If you don't mind, I am going to put that in my sig for a while. That is irony at it's best. I am low on the list, actually last.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #20
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Be sure to go into Williams at night, this little town is pretty cool.

I guess your going to the Grand Canyon? My wife and I were there last year, to be honest we were both a little disappointed in the view from the south rim. I thought it would be more of a shear drop off, the Colorado river seemed like a long way away.
Be sure to see the movie on your way in to the park. After viewing from the south rim, get in the Jeep and drive west along the canyon ( can't remember the route, but it's the only road East) stop at every pull off ( 5 miles apart roughly). Keep driving East until you get to the building that looks like a lighthouse, and go up in it. The view gets better at every stop.

We came in from the Western side of the canyon. We also did a ton of research ( via iPhone) after leaving Las Vegas, pertaining to the Skywalk. After many bad reviews we didn't go there. It was expensive, couldn't take pictures from the Skywalk, food was overpriced. And the road in was Terrible, A quick Google will turn up all the info.

Don't get me wrong on the diss appointment , it was a awesome thing to see. Just better from the Eastern rim.

On the town of Williams, we were there on 2 different nights. 2 of the Restaurants had live extertainment outside, Lots of small shops, for the wife.

We also stayed at the KOA, it was clean, and I had no complaints.

On our way to the Canyon we drove thru Sedona AZ. If you go there. Take the 2 lane road that comes into the north side of town, great road, lot of curves. And all downhill. Sorry, don't remember the route #.

Have a great and safe vacation. And I would take the Jeep on a car hauler. ( with Brakes) gas mileage probably won't be much different. And you'll have someplace not on the ground to put your stuff.

Bill

Bill, we usually run the 64 out and hike in. If you stop along the way, you can hike toward the canyon and see some breath taking views. We took over 100 pics of a California Condor gliding over the canyon, that was awe inspiring. If you run further east out of the park toward little Colorado Gorge, you do some nice wheeling and do the tourist thing and buy from the local Indian outposts. My son loves the social aspect of the KOA's.

Don't be afraid to try it again, try some non tourists stuff.

This time going in, we are going to pick up the 66 in Kingman and head to peach springs to run the diamond creek trail (permitted of course) before heading into Williams. After williams is were it gets skecthy, I was hoping to do Broken arrow out of Sedona (and possibly stop and see a friend in Cottonwood). But I am all ears! Even in the GC.

Windknot,

All of the above, ADVENTURE, history Ach.,

Unread 05-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromegrille View Post
I've never had a problem flat towing the Jeep to Colorado and back.
We usually camp at Red Lake Campground just north of Williams.
My 2006 Dodge 1500 4x4 4.7 handled I40 just fine, Kingman and Williams grades were no problem.
Red Lake Campground? I'll check that out. Our 5.4 expedition does fine on those grades too, just, well my Jeep having to run a hwy, ew! LOL.

I would rather find a $35 trailer bearing over a $80 rear wheel bearing and then have to hammer it on. I'm not trying to buy trouble, but want to avoid making the trip miserable for the family.

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #22
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have been teetering with the idea of renting a trailer to haul my CJ7 to Moab next week since I am a little nervous about flat towing it. (only about 250 miles) The cheapest place I found for a flat trailer was Sunbelt Rentals at $150 for a week. A quick check shows that there is one in Chino (if that is still where you live) and it might be worth giving them a call. My buddy that I am going to Moab with has convinced me that my rig will be fine flat towing and buying the gear with cost about the same as the rental would for me. I'm not that concerned about braking or pulling the CJ since I have an '07 F350 diesel but I just was worried about trashing my tires or something. I get anxious about this kind of stuff and don't want to ruin my first vacation in about 2 years. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
I have been teetering with the idea of renting a trailer to haul my CJ7 to Moab next week since I am a little nervous about flat towing it. (only about 250 miles) The cheapest place I found for a flat trailer was Sunbelt Rentals at $150 for a week. A quick check shows that there is one in Chino (if that is still where you live) and it might be worth giving them a call. My buddy that I am going to Moab with has convinced me that my rig will be fine flat towing and buying the gear with cost about the same as the rental would for me. I'm not that concerned about braking or pulling the CJ since I have an '07 F350 diesel but I just was worried about trashing my tires or something. I get anxious about this kind of stuff and don't want to ruin my first vacation in about 2 years. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
That is awesome! Great idea. Really appreciate that. Yes Sunbelt is just around the corner from us. I used to buy lp from them before we got our own tank.

Ps, is your 07 the newer motor? (not the 6.0)

Unread 05-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #24
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

WSS,

I've flat-towed my CJ for probably half of the 100K miles that are on the odometer, so I have a little experience, here.

The most important things are the tow rig and the alignment on the CJ. The majority of my towing has been with my RV. With a rig that size, you really don't even know the CJ is behind you. I have to check my rear-view mirror on corners just to make sure it's still there. I have also towed my CJ with a Tundra, and probably won't ever do it, again. There's just not enough weight and breaking power to a 1/2-ton pickup.

The alignment is also critical. If your CJ wanders, or pulls to one side, it makes towing dicey. After replacing my suspension, my caster was off. When, I towed it to the alignment shop, it tracked very poorly, and was down-right dangerous to tow.

Good luck,

Matt
huntingrig.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Ps, is your 07 the newer motor? (not the 6.0)
It is the 6.0. (2008 changed to the 6.4) I did a TON of reading about the 6.0 before I bought it to try and understand where things were going wrong. I decided that I was going to not tune it and keep things stock and I didn't think I would see a lot of the problems that guys have had with them. I bought it a year ago and put an Edge Insight on it to watch the internals for signs of any problems. Everything has run absolutely perfect for me. I haven't done a lot of towing or heavy duty usage out of it and probably won't, not because I can't but mainly because I don't have a ton of toys.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
WSS,

I've flat-towed my CJ for probably half of the 100K miles that are on the odometer, so I have a little experience, here.

The most important things are the tow rig and the alignment on the CJ. The majority of my towing has been with my RV. With a rig that size, you really don't even know the CJ is behind you. I have to check my rear-view mirror on corners just to make sure it's still there. I've have also towed my CJ with a Tundra, and probably won't ever do it, again. There's just not enough weight and breaking power to a 1/2-ton pickup.

The alignment is also critical. If your CJ wanders, or pulls to one side, it makes towing dicey. After replacing my suspension, my caster was off. When, I towed it to the alignment shop, it tracked very poorly, and was down-right dangerous to tow.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt- So you think that with a tow bar, a decent towing rig, and an alignment we should be good to go? I checked yesterday and saw that an alignment is only $50 here and I will get that done tomorrow. I don't think that my Jeep wanders much but I guess I don't really know what one that did would be like. Thanks.

One of the reasons that I was considering a trailer for mine was because I haven't really done much wheeling in it. If I break something on it I want to be able to get it home and having it on a trailer would make that totally possible. I have decided that I am going to flat tow it but those were the reasons why I considered trailering it so seriously.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #27
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sanctified,

A trailer is probably the ideal way to go, because your not putting the miles on the Jeep, but flat-towing works fine with the right tow rig.

I wouldn't consider flat-towing with anything lighter than a 1-ton pickup. At least, not in the mountains that I pull mine around.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified

One of the reasons that I was considering a trailer for mine was because I haven't really done much wheeling in it. If I break something on it I want to be able to get it home and having it on a trailer would make that totally possible. I have decided that I am going to flat tow it but those were the reasons why I considered trailering it so seriously.
This is the main reason I would trailer the Jeep. A broke Jeep that Can't be towed, could possibly make a great vacation, no so great.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #29
WSS

1972 CJ5 

I see the trend here. For day trips or even a weekend out, flat towing works. Provided a decent tow vehicle. Vacations are different. A week out and usually further than our local trails.

I looked into Sunbelt rentals and that looks like the way to go. I will stop by in person and report my findings back here.

The Powerstroke 6.0 can be made into a good motor with a few upgrades. We have a F550 w/ a 6.0 and have done a bunch of work to make it reliable. I can get 19mpg running the freeways. We have had the typical problems but fixed right, they don't come back and you have a animal pulling your stuff around.

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

19 MPG would be awesome. I'm only getting about 12.5 with mixed driving. I could do better tuning it but don't want to tempt myself with more power and encourage the motor to start breaking. I will fix things the right way on it as they are needed (studs, oil cooler, etc) but am content at the moment to just monitor how the engine is doing.

This is going to be a real quick trip for us, we are leaving next Thursday mid day and coming home Saturday night. We aren't going to hit any real tough trails since the other rig is a 2013 JKU Rubicon. He has put a ton of money into it but hasn't been able to decide on which lift to go with. We are going to play it conservative for both of our sakes and will go from there. We tried to hit a local trail last weekend but weren't able to find it since neither of us had been out there before.
Utah Jeep Crew #178

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.