Flat towing a CJ-6 Chassis - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flat towing a CJ-6 Chassis

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
billybob535

Flat towing a CJ-6 Chassis

I am going to be towing my replacement CJ-6 chassis home from Ohio to NC (660 miles). It is a frame with axles, suspension, 232/T14/D20, driveshafts, exhaust, bumpers, grille, and a full frame mounted roll cage. I am going to be using a brand new towbar bolted through the stock steel bumper which is in good shape. The hubs will be unlocked and the driveshafts will be disconnected and tied to the frame. I will be flipping my hitch ball mount so the tow bar will be nearly flat while towing.

I have researched flat towing here and other forums and the consensus is that the steering must be unlocked on the towed vehicle. The CJ's tires, suspension, tie rod, drag link, pitman arm, power steering box, and rod ends are all in good shape and the jeep was in good alignment before the body was removed. The concern is that it does not have a steering column or steering shaft as the body tub has been removed. Getting a uhaul is out of the question for this trip.

Is the lack of a column/steering shaft going to be a problem when flat towing?

I would think it would not be since you are supposed to tow with the steering unlocked and intermediates didn't have locking columns anyways. Towing speed will be kept to a reasonable level. The tow vehicle weighs more than twice the towed vehicle and I will have safety lights on the back of the CJ.

Can someone here enlighten me.

Thanks

Bob

billybob535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
CSP

Having no column is no different than leaving a locking column unlocked.

No need to pull the front driveshaft if the hubs are unlocked.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
billybob535

It towed just fine and the parts are now for sale. Just not here since I can't post to the classified forum. LOL

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by billybob535; 05-17-2011 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: link
billybob535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.