Flat tow a cj3a? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flat tow a cj3a?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
stinsonj
1953 CJ3A 

Flat tow a cj3a?

Im thinking about heading up in the hills this weekend to do some wheelin with some friends in my stock cj3a and was wondering what you guys thought about flat towing it. The trip is about 70 miles one way and would probably be doing no more than 55 the whole way. I have heard many suggestions: Remove the rear drive line, put the tranmission in 1st and the tc in nuetral, etc. but not quite sure what to do. I know putting it on a trailer would be the best option but i dont have access to one just yet.

stinsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
PERK
1983 CJ7 

transmission and transfer in neutral, hubs free. towed my m38 many miles this way
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
CSP

Transmission should be in gear, tcase in neutral.

The reason for the tranny in gear is to minimize the number of parts turning from residual friction in the tcase.

The Dana 18 handles flat towing well without fear of burning it up so removing the driveline isn't required, though it's still a good idea.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.