Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Flat fenders on CJs.....go/no-go?

8K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  4S50 
#1 ·
I could use some tube fenders on my CJ. I also like the look of them, well some of them.

I do get the "it's your CJ, do what you want" idea, but would like to hear opinions on the subject. I would not exlude purist/stocker guys opinions either. Our Cj is not stock, but has a distinct CJ look that is nice and appealling (to me at least). When I first got her, I had every intention of swapping out the stock fenders for tubed fenders. Now that I am ready to do it, I am hesitant. I will remove them complete in the event I want to swap back or just to keep them with the old girl as OE gear.

Most of the offroad damage is on the fenders, so I could, in reality use them. Anyone already done it and is happy or not? Pics are always cool.

Thanks for any input!

:tea:

#3 ·
I'd say go for it. I'm a form follows function kind of guy, so whatever performs best is what rules. If you save the original ones, then re-sale should not be an issue.
Here are a few pics of mine. Plan to add sliders and rear corners with same tube flares in the future.

#5 ·
I used a diy kit that required me to cut up a pair of stock fenders. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I dig the look and they are a lot tougher. if I was building something nice as opposed to a trail beater I would buy the metal cloaks

#18 ·
I used a diy kit that required me to cut up a pair of stock fenders. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I dig the look and they are a lot tougher. if I was building something nice as opposed to a trail beater I would buy the metal cloaks

I like the profile. Hardtop/doors, headers, flatties.

#8 ·
The go's have it. Thanks for the pics. I have a Hossfeld Hyd bender right now (sitting in my garage, on loan) that I could use to DIY. I have been ooggling the t&t 3" flared version since the beginning. I also like the look of these: Oh, heck I'll post up some other links too

http://www.trailtubes.com/collectio...s/comp-cut-front-flares-for-cj-yj-tj-lj-xj-zj

http://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_tube_fenders/CJ/3inchflare.aspx

http://extremecustomparts.com/i-156...cj8-flat-fender-conversion-free-shipping.html

I like the diy mostly because the funds are limited, or I should say could be spent on other things. I want to build the inners too and put on some hoops I made for longer shocks while at it. I have a OBA mounted on the DS inner fender, I am hoping to leave it there. Also want to leave some rooom for a PPW box in the future. I like the stock marker on the hood idea. Looks OE'ish.

#9 ·
Im in the middle of my build and just happened to get one side of my tube fenders on yesterday. Really happy with the design and quality of the ones I went with. Base don the ones your looking at, you should check out http://ccfabs.com They had good reviews on this board among others, and the price is far better at $200 for a weld in kit.

#25 ·
How does the 1.25" look all said and done? I would lean toward the 1.5" tube cause I have the dies and they match the sliders and rear flairs.

#11 ·
Matt1981CJ7 said:
I guess I'll be the one dissenting vote, here.

Flat fenders look out of place on a mostly stock looking CJ, to me. They scream rock-crawler wannabe.

But then, I think a fender should do what they are designed to do...to keep mud and road debris from flinging all over me and my rig.

Matt
I agree with Matt personally, but am also of the mind that its yours and do what makes you happy. I know some love that look. I do, but only on the early CJ's.

#12 ·
Mine would be mostly for use not look. I do like the stock CJ fenders and the impression they impart, but my last few trips out were less "wannabe". It would be nice to keep them on my stock looking CJ, but the likelihood of them being crunched is near 100% now.

Our CJ is not all that stock anymore. The only OE part of the drive train is the D20. The rear D44 is not the original, but I think it did come with one.

#16 ·
To me, the CJs fenders are one of the things that sets it apart from Jeeps of other eras.

Matt
Right there. Thats what I am up against.

#26 ·
Thinking about it myself but like you, funds better spent elsewhere for the time being.
Yep, My wife (our CFO too) says next time we get paid, I can either do the fenders or a fire suppression system. I think I'll go for the fenders but the FSS is next in line.

The CJ fund is more like a IV fluid bag, only when needed.

This is one of those projects that requires both feet. How about you go first?

:highfive:

#17 ·
WSS,

You do amazing work and I have followed your other thread consistently.

For what it's worth and only my opinion with regards to "YOUR" rig is that I would love to see you take off your front and rear fender flares and install stock fender flares.

Only my opinion...

What ever you choose it's YOUR rig...

Have fun no matter which direction you go.

SC

#19 ·
SC,

My original plan was to have a rig that I was not afraid to "use". Like many of the rigs I have had, I eventually become hesitant to "use" it. This one needs to stay user friendly. I can't get pissy on the trail when I ding something anymore, not fun for the family. The ride becomes somber LOL. Last trip I mangled my tank skid and dinged my front bumper pretty good, just a matter of time before the fenders get a good scrape, hit or tweak.

I am not intending to tear it up, but it is/was the intention of our family to go and explore off road. She needs to match the task I think.

#23 ·
WSS,

It was just my opinion. I hear ya with regards to the direction you're going...

...I think you just answered you question...Go with the flaties and have fun with the family!

I'll look forward to seeing you fab these up and install.

SC
Thanks, it seems I did answer my questions. I'll post up some build pics here. I just don't want to hit those nice fenders.

Wss, I like the factory look of a cj with its original fenders as long as the cj is mostly stock, in your case a set of tube fenders that match the rear flares would look best. But hey this is just my opinion and that's it.
That was my thought. I may have made a slight error though on the width of flair, maybe a tad too wide. Maybe not though when i get he beadlocks done. I hope to make the fronts kinda flow front to rocker to rear flair and tie in somewhat.

i went with the flat and wide front fenders purely for function. With the OEM fenders/flares I was constantly ripping off the rubber flare and tire was cutting into the metal edge. Once with the flares, = more clearance and no more contact.
OK, function in mind, what do I need to include in the task? What would you have done different? Is three inches wide enough for the flair, or would 4.5" give more protection. would it be worth the effort to tie across the top of the engine (removable as well) to structure/triangulate the fenders together for strength?

I also hope to tie in the bumper hoop to the fenders via some sort of bolted or clamped attachment, making both the fenders and bumper seperable for repair or mods.

Thanks Guys!

WSS

#22 ·
i went with the flat and wide front fenders purely for function. With the OEM fenders/flares I was constantly ripping off the rubber flare and tire was cutting into the metal edge. Once with the flares, = more clearance and no more contact.

#27 ·
I went through a similar dilemma a few months back when I finished my SOA and went to 35s. I wanted room to flex but didn't want to give up the factory flares, especially the round flare in the rear. I added 1.25" lift shackles I had laying around but was still rubbing. Looked into TJ flares but really didn't like how the front looked. Ended up going with the rugged ridge all terrain flares (same as bush wacker pocket flares. Overall I like the look and am glad I did it, but I do miss my rounded flares.

#32 ·
My opinion is to leave the fenders. The rounded fenders make the front of the CJ. I've toyed around with the idea for years. It definitely is functional, and won't tweak and sag like the stock fenders. Some of the posted rigs look downright mean with the flattie fenders. If clearance is what you need, I was able to trim about 1" front and rear of each fender and reinstall the fender flares.

Attachments

#36 ·
I went through the same internal debate and eventually went with the tapered Genright fenders and am glad I did. I gained clearance for 35's without adding lift and I like the way they look.

View attachment 692153
I like the vent idea behind the tubes. How does it work for you? I am forever in need of ridding heat. If I remember correctly, there are a few insert choices, louvered or round holed screen and maybe a logo insert? The pic shows good reason why we need them.

WSS

#34 ·
j33pman said:
do it!
Here's mine mid-rebuild
That looks really good. Like the color as well.

I don't like stock. I'm glad they still convert old cars into hot-rods / rat-rods. Would hate it If they still looked like a geezers old cruiser that never saw the light of day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.