Flasher/ Signal Issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flasher/ Signal Issues

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
^^X2^^

The location makes them prone to corrosion. Sometimes it can "make" a circuit, sometimes break it.
Thanks brother. Yea, my parking lamps, on the inside are all corroded. I thought is might have been from moisture, but that makes sense too. I was going to replace them anyway since the lenses are a little cracked and hazy.

Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

I got the chance to work on the lights a little tonight and here's where I am now....

First I put my front parking/ TS lamps back in and they worked! Sweet, right. .... not so fast. I tapped the side markers into them and now they no longer work. ... boo. The TS's work, but not the parking lamp. Hmm.... Stump #1.

Next I got the headlights working, tail lights working, hazards working ... things are coming along .... and tail lights/ rear TS's work. AWESOME! ....but, again, not so fast ... brake lights still aren't working. Hmm .... Stump #2.

I'm so close to taking this thing to get inspected its driving me crazy! I'm guessing that maybe the parking lamp housings and bumbs need to be replaced. They are both corroded pretty badly and the lenses need to be replaced anyway. I'll replaced the bulbs at the same time (although I didn't check them tonight to see if they are blown or not). Just feels like I should replace them anyway. Lastly, I'm guessing that the brake light switch may be bad. I hear its a b!tch to get to ... so do you guys think its worth changing out and what's the trick to making it a little easier??

Thanks again for all the help! .... btw, John, thanks again for that pic of the fuse block. It's the same on I have. Gonna see about making some labels for it once I get it cleaned up.
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #18
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well for the brake lights, I would check with a test light to see if it's working.
One side should be hot all the time and the other side should hot when you press on the brake.
If one side is not hot all the time then it could be a fuse or fuse holder. However, since your warning flashers are working, the fuse is good.

Why did you have to tap the side markers in? Were they not already connected?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Why did you have to tap the side markers in? Were they not already connected?
Ahh .... Guess I forgot to mention that one .... the PO had all the wiring done with crimp connectors and it's more a personal beef, but I just can't stand them. I think they make your wiring look like crap. No offense ... especially if they work just fine ... which mine did. But, I cut the connectors out. Did the solder/ heat shrink thing, plus I bought new side markers since the others were crapped out. But, that was a week or two ago and the new marker harness don't have the original colors. They have brown and black. ... but they doesn't explain why the parking lamps worked and now they don't.

... I also forgot to mention my dash lights/ gauge lights are no longer working .... boo again.

Drives me nuts I don't have more time to put hands-on-Jeep.
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Fortunately it doesn't matter which wire goes were on the side markers. Neither side is grounded.

Time to break out the test light again....
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

I guess that's the thing about electrical that's always tripped me up ... wire it up the wrong way and it doesn't work ... unless it doesn't matter how you wire it up. You'd think the whole idea of electrical wiring was thought up by a woman!
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #22
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn-n-tx View Post
I guess that's the thing about electrical that's always tripped me up ... wire it up the wrong way and it doesn't work ... unless it doesn't matter how you wire it up. You'd think the whole idea of electrical wiring was thought up by a woman!
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Bwhahaha!!!! .... See that's exactly what I'm talking about!

Thanks to everyone for all your help.... The jeep lives! I got the brake/stop switch replaced last night and got the brake lights working. Front TS work, but I think I need to replace one bulb. Other than that lighting is done... Well, minus the gauge lights. Well work on this later. State inspection don't care about those.

I took out the drivers seat to do the brake switch and broke two bolt. Pretty rusted in, so I guess I'm in for a treat... Boo.

Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.