Flasher/ Signal Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Flasher/ Signal Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Jeepn-n-tx
I go by "Mike Honcho" ...

1981 CJ7 

Flasher/ Signal Issues

I've got a 77 CJ-5 that Im starting to work on ... Had it for about 2 weeks now. Trying to get all the lights working so I can pass inspection. Searching the forums, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

I recently replaced worn out signal switch in the steering column. Before the change my brake lights, flashers, and turn signals didn't work. Now, after the replacement, the above still don't work and none of my lights up front work (headlights, parking, markers, signals).

The replacement part I got from the store was a Standard Motor Products # TW20T. Searching the net, this seems to be the correct part.

I guess my question is .... I'm trying to figure out/ make sure the new switch was put together right, but I can't figure out what their wiring colors mean. Anyone have a clue? .... From L-R the colors are white, torquise, yellow, purple, brown, blue, light blue, black, green, & light brown.

These correspond to red, lt green, lt green, red w/ tr, pink, green, green w/tr, black/ wht, orange (on the plug under the dash).

I'm still working on tracing/ learning where these wires lead to, but if someone can give me a quick run down, I'd really appreciate it. Just really want to get my lights working so I can legally drive my jeep around!

Thanks in advance!

Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
zillla
1975 CJ5 

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/image...-1976-1977.jpg
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
I found that image during a search. THANKS! Its what I'm using to trace everything out.

I guess my question was if anyone knew the wiring coloring for the new signal switch? Just want to make sure the correct wires are running to the correct pin slots.
Unread 06-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

From what I've seen the colors were different on different manufactures turn signal switches. Only their positions were important.
Just look at the different colors used in these two switches I took pictures of.

But commonly:
LT Green-Right rear
LT Green/White- Left rear
Green-Right Front
Green/White-Left Front
Black/White-Brake Switch

Colors that Vary Widely:
Hazard Flasher Red, Pink, Black
Brake Switch- Black/White, Pink, Red/white
Turn Signal Flasher- Red/White, Violet, Brown

Maybe this might help:

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Thanks a ton, John. I was hoping you'd chime in. I've read a lot of your posts on this subject. I may get some time to work on it either tonight or tomorrow. The weekend is shot...

Hopefully I can get a look-see and get things figured out. Maybe I'll also get this chance to post a build log and get some pictures up too. .... Ah dreams. Haha.
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
WSS
1972 CJ5 

John, that is so cool! I can't use it (yet) but I can see how useful it is to someone in need.

Thanks for posting!

WSS

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Well .... I got a chance to replace the flasher & signal "button" fuses and I got the signals are working, but the flashers/ hazards only come on but they still don't blink! ... my brake lights also still don't work, but they seem to be "hot" all the time. They come on and stay on even when the key is turned off ... ??? But, with these fuses replaced, it seems like I'm making at least a little head way into getting the Jeep up to par for inspection.

I'm out of town at the moment, but I'm thinking about pulling the fuse block out IOT clean it when I get home & then replacing all the fuses to see if that does anything. Anyone have experience doing this? Pretty much everything I've read talks about using an electrical cleaner spray and gentle scrubbing w/ steel wool. Any thoughts on using the "CLR" cleaner??? My fuse block doesn't look too bad, but then again the contacts are far from shiny.

Thanks again, John for posting the pics of the signal switch wiring .... definitely helped. Would anyone happen to have a diagram of the fuse block for my 77 showing what fuse is what and what amp fuse should go in each slot? The lettering on mine is all but worn off. I've searched but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I also read on another forum John had installed a fuse block from an '84 CJ7 and was wondering if I should just try something like that instead? I'm pretty good around the garage, but I'm definitely slow on the electrical side. Thanks in advance for all the help!
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn-n-tx View Post
Well .... I got a chance to replace the flasher & signal "button" fuses and I got the signals are working, but the flashers/ hazards only come on but they still don't blink! ... my brake lights also still don't work, but they seem to be "hot" all the time. They come on and stay on even when the key is turned off ... ??? But, with these fuses replaced, it seems like I'm making at least a little head way into getting the Jeep up to par for inspection.

I'm out of town at the moment, but I'm thinking about pulling the fuse block out IOT clean it when I get home & then replacing all the fuses to see if that does anything. Anyone have experience doing this? Pretty much everything I've read talks about using an electrical cleaner spray and gentle scrubbing w/ steel wool. Any thoughts on using the "CLR" cleaner??? My fuse block doesn't look too bad, but then again the contacts are far from shiny.

Thanks again, John for posting the pics of the signal switch wiring .... definitely helped. Would anyone happen to have a diagram of the fuse block for my 77 showing what fuse is what and what amp fuse should go in each slot? The lettering on mine is all but worn off. I've searched but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I also read on another forum John had installed a fuse block from an '84 CJ7 and was wondering if I should just try something like that instead? I'm pretty good around the garage, but I'm definitely slow on the electrical side. Thanks in advance for all the help!
I don't want to clutter your thread, but I'm in the same boat. My tails, parking lights, and reverse lights are "on" if the battery is connected. Switch removed doesn't matter. My fuse block looks a little gummy and should probably get cleaned. I'll follow along and see if our issues are similar. (Mine is a new build, with a fiberglass body. I'm still working on final grounds, but I wouldnt think that it would prevent lights from working, not being stuck on).
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

That would be my guess in your case. Grounds complete the circuit. I expect there's something, maybe something like grime, in there making the connection. I'm really thinking a good cleaning will do the trick. If not ... I'm lost. We'll let you know!
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
hawkijon
1979 CJ5 

hey guys fellow texan here, im having a similar issue as jeep-n-tx has. its sounds like your on the right track. ive been fighting my jeep lighting for a couple of weeks now, and its a f'ing headache, ive found that the rear tailights do not ground very well. Of course it looks like Strenk is to the rescue, as ive read many threads that end in the person saying thank you for solving the problem. the pictures are great and very helpful. with the key off, when i activate my parking lamps, my rear lights come one as they should, and brake lights (become brighter) when pedal is applied. if i activate my left or right turn signal, the direction i activated illuminates in the front. if i then turn my key to on, that front illuminated lamp begins to blink like it should. my problem is everything is working properly, but my parking lamps in front do not come on, only the blinkers work. i purchased some Crown brand replacement parking lamps (junk) last week and for the love of pete!! everything worked...parking lamps would come one in front and back and blinkers would work when activated. but it was short lived due to a horrible fixture design the bulbs in the parking lamp did not sit in the grooves well enough to keep good contact. i ordered some OMIX brand parking lamps (better fixture construstion) and after plugging them in i only get the turn signal to work and the issue with the key off as i mentioned above. i have replaced headlight switch, TS switch, and all fuses including the hazard and flashers. i will say i have not actually screwed the parking lamps into place yet, but i dont think they require grounding as there is a power and ground wire that goes directly to the both bulbs, but i could be wrong. im just curious why now i dont have parking lamp and why one of the front lamps illuminates when i have the key off and parking lamps on with TS activated. sorry to intrude the tread, but you may end up having similar issues as i have.. any ideas on this??
hawkijon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
hawkijon
1979 CJ5 

WOW!! I answered my own question. apparently the parking lights have to be mounted for them to work properly. i guess they do ground through the housing some how?? you got me?? all i know is that they work now. being that the bulbs are double filament bulbs, i understand one is to be dim and one is to be bright. are they supposed to be dim with parking lights on and then alternate to bright with the TS activated? if this is the case, then i believe i have one bulb 180 degrees out, im having one parking lamp bright and the other one dim, but the TS do work as well.
hawkijon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, the Front turn signal lamps grounf through a special screw that holds the lens cover on. It has an extended shoulder that makes contact with the base when it is tightened down.

I'd post a picture of my 77 Fuse box but can't seem to find the picture on windows hate ftp window.

Thanks Google
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Sometimes the floor dimmer switch is overlooked. It can cause some weird problems.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
WSS
1972 CJ5 

^^X2^^

The location makes them prone to corrosion. Sometimes it can "make" a circuit, sometimes break it.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Wow. Thanks for all the comments guys. Definitely helping me work the issue. Going to get some time today to work on it so ill let you know how it goes...

John ... Thanks for the picture! I'd searches high and low and never saw that one...

Hawk .... Thanks for solving your problem as it solved one of my at the same time. I was testing my lights off the body.

And Dave... That's a damn fine profile pic you got. 1st Team... You ain't CAV....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.