Fla Boy Moving it 9*-14* Weather w/CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fla Boy Moving it 9*-14* Weather w/CJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Fla Boy Moving it 9*-14* Weather w/CJ

Hey guy's we are actually in Bama right now but heading to Fla to pack up our stuff to head to Nevada (60 miles N.E. of Reno).

Now I know I have my windshield wiper stuff for 0* but what about my radiator mixture. I have a 50/50 mix for Fla, is that good enough for the weather in Nevada in the winter?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. Here are just a few pics.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

A good 50/50 should be good. Def want the winter blend of washer fluid - never would think of that, but I just always use it anyways.

Other than that make sure the heater core works properly and the blower works good! Also some tires good for snow...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/snowww-928796/

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

50/50 mix is good down to -34 and 60/40 mix is good down to -60. Do the blower motor upgrade and you'll be good to go.
SparkyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have seen too much 50/50 go slushy and worse so now use 60/40 for those cold snaps.

The 73 Blazer blower motor upgrade (seimens 102 at napa) is 'well' worth it! Puts out more on low than the stock one did on high. My wife and I recently did a 1200 mile run at -35 average and didn't need gloves or hats on, it was soo nice.

You aren't going to like those 12.5's much in the snow. You might want to think on tall skinnies for the snow The wide tire gets up on top and will pretty much go anywhere, just very slowly. When I had 10.5" muds on it lost grip about 45 mph in the snow, too slow so the transports were always passing me and that is 'no' fun. They are rolling whiteouts... When I went to a BFG 33x9.5 that has a 7.5" tread width, my winter traction went 'way' up. It will track up to 65 mph for sure and can easily keep up to the big rigs now. Feels real solid at 50-60 mph for sure.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Thank you all and thanks Mike. Peaches CJ has teh tread-wright 31x10's and the build has the 33"x12's. I do understand about the skinny tires and I really don't think my big lug mud tires will work so go in the desert so when they go I will have to go to a diferent tire.

Wow, on the heater deal. Been looking @ it for yrs but never done it. I'm sure I will, soooooooon

ONE MORE QUESTION PLEASE:

On my build I have no fluids in it, now it iwll have to go on a transport to NV. Should I leave the fluids out (radiator empty, tranny almost empty-auto, need to add to the rear-rear), I don't think anything will crack, do you.

Thanks again everyone.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I would fill the diffs at least, leave the drive shafts out and you can leave the lube from the gearboxes. Don't need it rolling on dry bearings.

Personally, I'd fill the boxes too, warmer FL to cold - may get some condensation. The lube will keep the gears and other important parts protected.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
I do understand about the skinny tires and I really don't think my big lug mud tires will work so go in the desert so when they go I will have to go to a diferent tire..
I drove for 10 years on BFG 33x9.5" Muds as a daily driver in Ontario Canada and did many winter bush runs, they grab pretty nice in the snow, not real bad on ice either. I now have a set of the BFG AT's in the same size for the mostly ice area I live in now.

Quote:
ONE MORE QUESTION PLEASE:

On my build I have no fluids in it, now it iwll have to go on a transport to NV. Should I leave the fluids out (radiator empty, tranny almost empty-auto, need to add to the rear-rear), I don't think anything will crack, do you.
I would be worried about any residual water in the engine block or heater core. Both can and will crack.

You have to really watch that when filling also. If you flush the system with water, a lot stays in so you need to add the proper amount of pure coolant first to get your proper %, then you top it up with water. Usually I can only get another quart or two of water in that way which means the rest is already in there. This kind of mixing is dangerous to do in the real cold though, the water can freeze up before it gets mixed unless the engine is ready to fire up.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Leave all the fluids in the Jeep. 50/50 is fine for the Nevada area and the lower midwest you will cut across. Heck I run 50/50 here in mn or a bit more. But that area, OK, MO the midwest areas you will cross do not get that cold. Heck OK just had a big snow storm and it broke all kinds of records over holidays.

We were -27F the other morning and single digits highs for this week. My attached garage was 10 deg this am. When the gargage gets single digits I know were are in a cold snap. MN is one of the coldest spots in the US, ND and SD too.

With fluids there is less likely to get condesation on the inside walls as temp up/down and then get into your fluids. So keep them full esp the gas tank. The transport if using the tractors for cars etc will drive them up and down. You can also put stuff in the compartment with in reason,, but ask them first. I shipped a car from AZ to MN about 10 yrs ago.

I have been in cold climates all my life that area does not get the deep cold, or the long winters. Can also go on the internet and search their weather with zip code etc. I would expect the cold nights there to be 20/30F.

have a safe move,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.