Fix to water leaking thru Cowl Vent on hood?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fix to water leaking thru Cowl Vent on hood??

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 08-11-2003, 08:22 PM   #1
brownrecluse

Fix to water leaking thru Cowl Vent on hood??

There's a company selling MAGNETIC COWL COVERS on ebay and they say it will stop water from leaking in thru the cowl area, and of course it will because it seals it totally.

My question is, what is that cowl vent actually for? If you completely block that area, will my heater / air conditioner work? When I emailed the company they said: "Air does NOT have to flow in there."

Here is the link to there ebay page for more info: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425323734

On my cj i have water that leaks thru there, and if i could just block it off it seems like a good fix, but it seems to me the vent must be there for some reason.

thanks!

Unread 08-11-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
wm69

Bad idea. Been there, done that. I just filled my grill with bondo, sanded and painted it, and it completely sealed it off. Still leaked! Water was coming in the cowl rubber, and the reg windshild strip was leaking also. When you seal off the cowl vent, your heat works (barely), but your defrost doesn't work at all. Seal your cowl strip and windshild weather strip with some liquid gasket type stuff (make sure it's not silicone or it will eat the paint off and promote rust), check your drain hose, and see if that fixes it. After doing all of that, mine still drips a little, but it's not coming in throught the vent....

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2003, 08:52 PM   #3
brownrecluse

Really, wild story!

I wish I would have known about silicion, ran a ton of it along the cowl seal recently, hadnt heard that it caused rust....are you sure about that? A bunch of jeep folks recommened that, oh well, maybe I can get it out some how?

What product did you use to seal the rubber gaskets and weather strips?

Do you know of any way to get the silicon I used out of there? I just got basic plumbing type silicon from home depot.

Thanks!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69
Bad idea. Been there, done that. I just filled my grill with bondo, sanded and painted it, and it completely sealed it off. Still leaked! Water was coming in the cowl rubber, and the reg windshild strip was leaking also. When you seal off the cowl vent, your heat works (barely), but your defrost doesn't work at all. Seal your cowl strip and windshild weather strip with some liquid gasket type stuff (make sure it's not silicone or it will eat the paint off and promote rust), check your drain hose, and see if that fixes it. After doing all of that, mine still drips a little, but it's not coming in throught the vent....
Unread 08-11-2003, 11:05 PM   #4
RODDOR

The cowl vent is the fresh air intake for the heater. It is also leaked in my jeep. I read that it also keeps the jeep from getting warm as the air intake is always coming from outside of the jeep. I found a couple sites and other info that shows you how to remove the whole cowl vent system. I removed the whole vent system in mine and and put a metal plate with silicone sealant over the top of the vent that is the same color of my jeep. I then put a crome vent cover on it and it no longer leaks. No one even notices. I also changed out to the chevy fan blower motor. Now my jeep gets nice and toasty even with a canvas top.
RODDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
wm69

That's what I was hoping to achieve, but didn't work out for me that way (and with water still leaking into my interior I couldn't see anything cause the defrost didn't work and the windows stayed fogged up all the time. Jeff, I too used silicone on my cowl strip and the guy who replaced the windshild (some *******, me, forgot to latch the hood) said he sees jeeps all the time that leak through the cowl and windshield, but told me not to use regular silicone because it would eat the paint/ rust the steel. Oops, I pulled it back a little and sure enough, there was rust all the way across where I had the silicone. You can get weather stripping glue/ sealant at the hardware store that won't do the rust thing. Just check it out (read the directions/ specs) before you buy (and maybe ask the counter guy). OH, and I also (when the jeep still leaked) took a piece of hard plastic and cut it to fit the countour of the vent duct (where I thought the water was coming in) where it looked like a little Dam in there, and there was no way water could get in. It is siliconced around the sides and bottom, and is about 2" tall, so fresh air can still get over it, but the water would have to be 2" deep in the vent to go over it. Might try that before you seal it off too.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
IvanfF

Water Leaks

Hi Roddor, I have a question, I have a CJ-7 86, Hardtop, Im repairing the rust of the windshield frame, BUT, my Jeep still leaks from the cowl vent, but I have a question, I never use that air intake, I live in Ecuador, in a place near a beach, here never, and believe me, NEVER SNOWS, is a tropical weather, rains a lot, and I only use my A/C, but never open the air intake, do you think that if I never use the heater, because is an absurd with the hoy here, hahah, I can close the air intake? with a metal plate as you did? Thanks a lot Roddor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODDOR View Post
The cowl vent is the fresh air intake for the heater. It is also leaked in my jeep. I read that it also keeps the jeep from getting warm as the air intake is always coming from outside of the jeep. I found a couple sites and other info that shows you how to remove the whole cowl vent system. I removed the whole vent system in mine and and put a metal plate with silicone sealant over the top of the vent that is the same color of my jeep. I then put a crome vent cover on it and it no longer leaks. No one even notices. I also changed out to the chevy fan blower motor. Now my jeep gets nice and toasty even with a canvas top.
IvanfF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well I don't know if Rodder is still around, it's been 11 years since he made that post.

But if your windows don't fog up or need the heat, you don't need the heater and extra stuff with it...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
IvanfF

Thanks John, don't you have some pictures to share? show us your Jeep, I'm thinking in using some lights mounted in the windshield frame with the respectively brackets, but I have a CJ-7, and the passenger mirror is too close from the windshield, what do you think?
IvanfF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I solved that jeep leaking problem: I just never let it get wet, if its going rain, I drive something else.

I think the rain also gets in at the windshield glass to windshield frame seal, the windshield frame to body seal.
in addition to the crowl vent, I have had all that out years ago, repaired the heater core and the heater works or at least it did last year.
again, I do not drive my jeep much if its cold weather, even thought I have the hardtop on.

rust I such a problem for old jeeps,

I just try to keep it as clean and dry as possible, but you can still walk by it and almost hear the rust eating away at the body and frame,

however, it still runs good and I enjoy driving it on a warm sunny day with the top off and radio blaring.

when they get old like mine, 1984 and were not taken care of back in the day, there is no end to what you can spend in finance and time ever getting it back to new condition, then let it rust out again as you stand there and watch it.

just drive it and enjoy, that is my plan,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I know it's an old thread but I wanted to add for the record; I used Permatex RTV Blue silicone sealant on many areas of my Jeep in 1996 after I painted it (pics are from 2011), such as under the ws hinges, across where the cowl seal goes, around and under my light brackets mounted to the side of the ws, etc. And I am so glad I did. It didn't effect the paint and it saved me from having almost any rust.

Heres the most rust I found and it got in around one of the bolt holes for the hinge.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
CJShayne
1986 CJ7 

I'm getting ready to replace all of my weather-stripping, and want to know the VERY BEST sealant to use. Is there anything better than RTV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I know it's an old thread but I wanted to add for the record; I used Permatex RTV Blue silicone sealant on many areas of my Jeep in 1996 after I painted it (pics are from 2011), such as under the ws hinges, across where the cowl seal goes, around and under my light brackets mounted to the side of the ws, etc. And I am so glad I did. It didn't effect the paint and it saved me from having almost any rust.

Heres the most rust I found and it got in around one of the bolt holes for the hinge.
CJShayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
GPER
1979 CJ7 

What was said about sealing up everything even the hood hinges. I found two K & N filters that were as wide as the cowl vent. they were not long enough but some duct tape took care of the gap. I have the ss cowl vent cover and used 4 carriage bolts with nuts and washers to hold them on the cover. I forget how long they are now, it was a long time ago I did this. I then made a cover for the filters and cover for the vent.

The filters keep the vent dry so it doesn't dump water on my foot and allows fresh air into the heater.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJShayne View Post
I'm getting ready to replace all of my weather-stripping, and want to know the VERY BEST sealant to use. Is there anything better than RTV?
Body sealant that is designed to keep moisture out but is still able to be painted.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #14
RARECJ8

Thread revival. Drove home today in a severe rainstorm. All new gaskets under windshield frame and sealed up. Getting steady leak along right/pass side near blower. Left good puddle on floor. Pulled the cowl vent cover and found 2" wet mud, line needles and crap filling the depression on pass side. Defroster no work. Might just blank it off with some stainless or sheet metal. Cannot find a diagram of that box under cowl. Looks like it was patched up by a PO with some fiberglass kit...

Argh.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

The cowl vent can work if properly maintained. There is a drain for it; open your hood and you'll see a very large tube coming out of the firewall with a "flapper valve" on the end. That's the box drain.

First, the drain must be clean for it to work. If it clogs water sill simply enter the heater box and leak. Also to prevent leaks, it needs a flexible body putty or sealant between the box and the underside of the cowl.

The other thing I do to prevent pine needles and leaves and such from falling into the box is sandwich some fiberglass window screen between the vent cover and the cowl. (I use black to hide it.) Also, if you choose to add a "cowl scoop", place it facing the windshield, not the bumper. Otherwise you're just adding to the problem.

Knowing what year Jeep you have helps others determine how or if they can help you with your problem. I'm enclosing a link to the cowl vent and heater assembly for a 1976 & 1977. Others are different with motor positioning, but the rest is similar in all models.

http://oljeep.com/gw/76_tsm/Section13.pdf

Figure 13-2 shows a view of the heater assembly. There is a large hose at the right labeled "AIR DUCT". That hose attaches to the right side of the cowl box under the grill. In addition, there is a smaller defroster hose attached to the heater box. There's only one defroster hose; what looks like another opening for another hose is actually supposed to heat the cowl box and melt any accumulated snow. If the drain is clean and clear, the snow melt drains into the engine compartment.

All access except for the grill and cowl box retaining screws is from under the dash.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.