First vehicle/Jeep :) And first issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > First vehicle/Jeep :) And first issues

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize the ebay breather was just the top.

The 258 assembly would be much easier to find, but I'm not sure it fits. Anyone know for sure?

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Can't you get a reducer/adapter at a plumbing supply or Lowes as a temp fix? I'd blow the 79 cents even if it was only for a week while your ebay treasure arrives. Or don't drive it!
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #18
93Trip
1986 CJ7 

Well I'm not gonna drive it until I get that fixed. I'm going to 2 junkyards today, one of them has like a dozen old cj's so hopefully I will find a air cleaner.
Also here is a pic of where the rear leaf spring bracket is broken. Think I could weld it?
image-221417082.jpg   image-3056924465.jpg   image-3969990320.jpg  
93Trip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #19
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Trip
Well I'm not gonna drive it until I get that fixed. I'm going to 2 junkyards today, one of them has like a dozen old cj's so hopefully I will find a air cleaner.
Also here is a pic of where the rear leaf spring bracket is broken. Think I could weld it?
The "bracket" that is broken is your leaf spring. It looks like the PO "fixed" it by attaching it to the bolt that holds the shackle to the frame. Compare it to the driver side rear spring (if its correct) to see how it should be. Honestly, I don't even see the shackle hanger....
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

I wouldn't weld that. I'd be looking at getting a shackle hanger and a replacement leaf spring. Personally, and recommend to you, not to drive it until this and the air filter assembly are fixed. If not, you might be looking at more money for repairs. The leaf spring situation is dangerous. Essentially, if there is not a shackle hanger, your rear axle is only being held to the Jeep with 3 of 4 "attachment" locations.
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #21
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Sorry, stepped away and then realized what's going on. The "bracket" IS the shackle hanger. It snapped off and then your shackle rotated to where the top is now down. You could weld it back on. You might look into a new one that hasn't ripped out and then bolt/weld new one on.

Sorry about my lack of observation this early
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
93Trip
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the info.

I'm not driving it right now other than in and out of the shop.

I don't think I can bolt the shackle to the frame, because the bolt on the shackle pulled through the frame. So if it will work ok, I will just weld it.

Also how can I tell what "series/package" my jeep is?

Thanks,
Trip
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Trip
Thanks for the info.

I'm not driving it right now other than in and out of the shop.

I don't think I can bolt the shackle to the frame, because the bolt on the shackle pulled through the frame. So if it will work ok, I will just weld it.

Also how can I tell what "series/package" my jeep is?

Thanks,
Trip
No prob!

The leaf spring attaches to the lower portion of the shackle. The upper part of the shackle connects to the shackle hanger. The shackle hanger attaches to the frame. You need to reattach the shackle hanger to the frame and then reconnect the shackle and leaf spring to the shackle hanger.

Do a vin look up on your jeep and it should tell you what it was factory. It won't tell you if it was a Renegade or Laredo or anything like that though. If you have those trim levels (ie clock, tach, leather wrapped passenger bar etc) that is the only thing that will tell you that.
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's what it should look like.

As Rambling said, your shackle hanger has broken free from the frame, and the shackle has rotated upside down.

Good luck,

Matt
crabtreeart2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #25
93Trip
1986 CJ7 

Ok thanks, I will try to weld it up some time in the next few days, getting tired of driving away from my jeep in my dads truck.

Been thinking, I've seen pics of where folks have been able to adapt Air cleaners like the one on my jeep with out this issue. How was it done? New style carb?

Thanks!!!!!

Trip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.