First vehicle/Jeep :) And first issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > First vehicle/Jeep :) And first issues

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
93Trip
1986 CJ7 

First vehicle/Jeep :) And first issues

Hey yall,
I figured it was about time I got myself my own set of wheels, and it had to be a jeep.

I got a 1986 CJ7 4cyl 4spd with power steering, & hydro clutch.

Since I'm not used to a manual tranny, I let my dad drive it back to the farm, but once back to the house, we couldn't get it to start for nothin!!!

Thankfully though, a buddy and I got her runnin, but the carbs look like a cat had a bowel movement in it, and the oil blacker than coal. I got a carb kit on the way, and about to go change the oil in just a bit, but I got a question for yall.

The part that attaches the air filter (oh the air filter isn't stock, its a edlerbrock), I think that's called the pan, doesn't fit right. There is about a 1/8" gap between the carb and the "pan". Will that hurt the engine? What can I do to fix this?

Yall have a good day!!!!!

Trip

photo-4-.jpg   photo-5-.jpg   photo-3-.jpg   photo-1-.jpg  
93Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Great start and welcome to the forum!

Yes - that gap could hurt the engine. The purpose of the air filter is just that. If you have a gap allowing engine air in unfiltered, who knows what could get in there, it's like living in LA in the 80s.

What are your plans for it? My suggestion - keep it as original as possible
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
93Trip
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm
Great start and welcome to the forum!

Yes - that gap could hurt the engine. The purpose of the air filter is just that. If you have a gap allowing engine air in unfiltered, who knows what could get in there, it's like living in LA in the 80s.

What are your plans for it? My suggestion - keep it as original as possible
Ok, I will head to the local junk yard and see if I can find a factory air filter.

My plan is to make it a daily driver & a country boys "dream" vehicle.
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Just so you don't make the same mistakes I did - that interior is called "honey," and it's pretty rare as far as CJs go, especially in as good condition as yours appear. The seats aren't original, but that's OK. As much as you might like to sell off parts you don't think you need, don't sell those interior pieces and keep as good care of them as you can, they're worth something attached or unattached to the Jeep.

Get some pictures of your axles so we can tell you what's underneath - you might have a Dana 44 in the rear, which is also a very good thing to have.

What's your location? Fill out your profile when you get a chance, it'll be helpful for us when you inevitably have questions

Let us know if you get the starting issue sorted out, there's plenty you can do to diagnose and upgrade your ignition and fuel delivery components to solve problems and improve your engine performance.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

One thing that will need immediate attention is the broken rear leaf spring. Its not driveable with that situation.
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivehad4 View Post
One thing that will need immediate attention is the broken rear leaf spring. Its not driveable with that situation.
Good catch!
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post
Good catch!
Yes, it was.

It may also run a little better if you install the fuel filter correctly. The bypass filter is designed to act as a fuel pressure regulator.

For it to operate correctly, the filter should sit level horizontally, and the return should be in the 12 o'clock position.

Welcome,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
93Trip
1986 CJ7 

Hey yall,

Thanks for all the great comments, Yall are awesome!!!!!!

My dad noticed the spring was messed up before I bought it. What is broken is the bracket that holds the leaf spring in place. I plan on taking my MIG welder, and welding the bracket directly to the frame.
Yesterday I replaced the plugs, changed the oil & filter, ordered new plug wires, carb rebuild kit, wipers, and wiper arms. I would like to put a overhead sound bar in, but I can't find one. Yall know where I can find one?
I'm going to the junk yard here in a bit before work, and see if I can find the factory air filter assembly.

OH and my CJ came with Alloy Eagle wheels, and super swamper tires, and I'm thinking about selling them, but I have NO idea what they are worth. Any idea? I'm asking this, because I don't want to give them away or be crazy high on them.

Also here is a photo of the rear axle of my little baby.

Yall have a good Monday!!!!!
photo-6-.jpg  
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

great choice on a "first vehicle"

it looks great and the 4 cyl is a blessing in disguise. if you plan on doing all your own " country maintanance" there is nothing to heavy that you cant muscle out yourself. keep it stock and just start fixing stuff and making it reliable. dont let any one including yourself sucker you into more power or faster. that's what horse's are for! and they are designed for it. take the top off in the summer and youll be able to sell tickets for rides!
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Hard to tell by the pic how much tread is left on the tires, and that had a lot to do with pricing. Check out CL and forums in your area to get an idea of what others are asking for similar tires.

Most of the overhead sound bars attach to the bars on the roll bar that go forward to the windshield, which CJs don't have. I have a decent set of speakers in the dash and a pair of 6x9s under the back seat in a box I built; works well. My cousin has the speaker pod that goes on the Trans hump in front of the shifters and the ones that go between the down bar of the roll bar and the fenderwell. Also works well.

Go ahead and change all the fluids in the gearboxes, axles, etc. and btw, you've got the Dana 44 rear
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
93Trip
1986 CJ7 

So I can't adapt my roll bars to fit a sound bar?

Well I had no luck finding a factory air filter assembly at the junk yard. I've been trying to find one online but no luck. I'm not sure I'm even calling it the right thing. It's the part that holds the air filter over the carb. Any idea where I can find one?

So is that good that my jeep has the Dana 44?

Thanks y'all!!!!!!

Trip
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Cool beans! You did indeed score a coveted Dana 44 rear, which in a 2.5 (Pontiac Iron Duke) MAY (help here guys) have 4.10 gears. If you take a wire brush lightly and some water you'll find number like 49/17 on the top of the passenger side axle tube, meaning 2.73 gears, which I HAD. You may have to dismount the brake splitter to do this. This rear would make your CJ an '86-1/2.
As far as welding up the shackle or mount, don't bother. Can you post a good shot of what's broken? I'm not really clear on what's busted. The junkyard will be your new home. Check the others for wear/rust. Chances are the PO (Previous owner) backed into a rock and busted it. Grab 1 or so, they shouldn't be more than $5. Grease the rubber bushing if you can. The shackle is designed to move, so welding it fast will defeat its' purpose.
As far as the wheels go, don't be afraid to ship them on the buyers dime if you ebay them. FedEx (cheaper) and UPS stores will help you out, but that option is likely cost prohibitive.
BTW, don't listen to that clown walkerhoundvm . W/a small budget and a 4 banger your best bet for performance and MPG is to lighten it up. For instance I could trade you a set of black factory racing door panels, and a hi-perf black dash pad. These are speed parts I got from VEX. Do a "forum search" on him, he's a legend! And you don't really want that heavy factory console and rollbar covers. Pm me if ya wanna swap!
EDIT: Everything I said after BTW, is BS, except VEX. And walkerhoundvm gave ya the straight dope. And walkerhoundvm I apologize for calling you a clown. Sorry for trying to rob the new guy. Gotta go see the priest for confession. Again. 2nd time this week and it's early Monday!

Last edited by hutch1200; 05-06-2013 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Conscience!
hutch1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Trip View Post
Well I had no luck finding a factory air filter assembly at the junk yard. I've been trying to find one online but no luck. I'm not sure I'm even calling it the right thing. It's the part that holds the air filter over the carb. Any idea where I can find one?

Trip
Trip,

Here's one for a 4-cyl. It may need a little paint.....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
jaketr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if the one for a 258 fits airbox i have one
jaketr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I think this is the Air Cleaner you need. Contact the seller and see if they have the bottom part. This is only the top. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-Air-...#ht_656wt_1255

As for the Dana 44. Yes it is very good to have. Lots of people swap the AMC 20 for the Dana 44.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.