JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   First time using this or any forum. Shock mounts? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/first-time-using-any-forum-shock-mounts-1541531/)

Jeepinid 06-26-2013 08:08 AM

First time using this or any forum. Shock mounts?

Can someone help me with placement on rear shock mounts on my cj7 ? This is my first jeep. Put a 4 inch lift in it and hated it. Felt like I needed a kidney belt to drive it. After a lot of research I took the lift out and replaced it with rubicon express springs over axle. Trying to decide what the best setup for shocks is. I will be running 35 inch tires, and last weekend swapped out the 20 for a dana 60 narrowed to 53" . I'm thinking the f350 shock towers but at what angle and hight? Suggestions or comments ?

texasdave 06-26-2013 08:29 AM

Rubicon would be your best best with what they recommend. Did you remove you upper shock mounts? They are welded to the frame. I would put them back to the original position.

Jeepinid 06-26-2013 08:33 AM

The upper mounts are in the original position, there are no lower mounts yet. The original lowers were on the spring mounting plate. I had to replace them with the r e plates because the 60 has bigger tubes.

Jeepinid 06-26-2013 08:37 AM

I was thinking about f-350 front shock towers on the outboard side of the frame rails but not sure at what angle. Straight up and down, or angled toward front or rear?

D-BO 06-26-2013 03:30 PM

The RE plate has a threaded hole specifically designed for shock mounts. If you still have your upper mount, you could simply install a lower mount into that plate like it is designed for. Then take some measurements and buy the shocks that best fit.

As far as the angle goes. In my opinion it shouldn't matter that much. If there are slight angles involved with using the existing mount in that RE plate... I would just go with it.

Jeepinid 06-26-2013 07:19 PM

Thanks for the input .. I must not have the plates you are thinking of though.

D-BO 06-26-2013 08:00 PM

Sorry I thought you meant these:

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Lift-K...=101&t_pt=5538

I see now that the spring over kit comes with different plates... makes sense you wouldn't need those heavy duty ones because they will never touch the ground.

Jeepinid 06-28-2013 01:02 AM

Yes, those are cool though. I think I've decided on the ford mount outboard and weld on the axle tube lower mounts. Should have the dana 60 all done tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it all out Fourth of July weekend.

D-BO 06-28-2013 09:36 AM

I was thinking about your idea to outboard those ford mounts. I have been planning to do that little mod to my FRONT mounts.

I would have to do some measurements but my feeling for the rears would be that they would rub the inside of your tire when flexing. At least for my set up it would. I guess it would depend on how wide your axles are, the offset of your rims, and if you have some spacers. I have Dana 44's out of a Wagoneer that are about 59" wide, and I believe if there were shock posts sticking out into my rear fender wells they would rub against them with even the slightest articulation.

I may again be mis-interpreting your plan. However, more proof of not having enough room to put any mounts "outboard" of the frame in the rear is that the stock mounts are inside and completely out of the way. I think it is that way for a reason.

I guess maybe try and put the ford mounts in place before taking the rear tire off and seeing if there is enough room.

When I get a ton of flex in the rear I am insanely close to rubbing the inside of the rear fender wells. If there was anything in between the inside of my tires and the wheel well it would rub.

Jeepinid 06-30-2013 10:51 AM

Thanks for the input D-BO. I do have a bit more clearance as my Dana 60 is about 4inches wider than a stock widetrac. You have a good point about the extreme flexing and I will make sure and check and check again before I weld anything permanently .i was going to put some pictures of the project up but for some reason they won't post. I'll have to ask my 15 year old for help. Not real good with the computer .

Spieg8 06-30-2013 11:21 AM

would love to see some photos of this... nudge, nudge
:cheers2:

D-BO 07-02-2013 06:42 PM

Yeah I would love to see some pics. I am also really curious as to how long of a shock you will end up with.

Jeepinid 07-05-2013 11:31 PM

So I finally figured out why I couldn't post pics.. Not enough posts. You have to have 25 and I only have 6.

Jeepinid 07-05-2013 11:33 PM

I decided to go outboard shock mounts, however I did not use the f150 style. I went with the same mounts that are on the front.

Jeepinid 07-05-2013 11:37 PM

Soon as I have enough posts ill put some pics up. The way I set them up is at the exact location and angle as the factory only outboard. I ended up flexing it all the way out before welding everything in place, and also used a shock and mount to make sure no rubbing.

The time now is 12:44 PM.