First Time Jeep Owner - Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > First Time Jeep Owner - Help!

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
ideafrog
1964 CJ5 

First Time Jeep Owner - Help!

So yesterday, I purchased my first CJ - a 1964 with what the owner claimed was the original hard top (I believe him) and the snow plow that was ordered with the Jeep.

Runs good, but like most this age, is going to need some TLC.

BUT, I need help identifying all aspects of the Jeep because I'm sure Ill be posting here often looking for help!

The plate on the firewall lists its VIN as:

Ill post pictures soon (over at mechanic getting looked at)

Thanks!

ideafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum.Sounds like you got a keeper a 1964 cool
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
ideafrog
1964 CJ5 

Wonder what anyone could tell me about my new jeep (information that the title doesn't cover)

Here is the picture of how we found her!

Questions:
Where is the best place to buy parts?
Is there someone who sells a back seat for this model?
What is the "hole" in the hood for - and on some photos I see a filler piece there - where can I find one?

MANY Questions...looking forward to hearing from the experts!
1964cj5.jpg  
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Ya got a CJ5 there. You can find all kinds of parts online or in local stores. All of these will have a rear seat for ya....

http://www.quadratec.com/
http://www.4wd.com/
http://www.4wheelparts.com/
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/

There is really an unlimited amount of resources out there for you. Search around here and get used to all of the tools the forum provides. It can be kinda tricky, but once you get the hang of it you can usually find the answers to many of your questions.

Good luck and that is a really cool jeep. Have fun with it!!
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Can't really help with the "hole" question. Need to know precise location and a pic would help.
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
ridge28
1964 CJ5 

I have the same hole on my 64 and was told it was originally for a snorkal but there is a piece that covers the whole i just havent found one yet. If it is all stock it will have the f134 engine, t90 tranny, dana 18 transfercase and danna 44 rear and dana 27 front if it is still stock, im diggin the hard top though!
ridge28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge28
I have the same hole on my 64 and was told it was originally for a snorkal but there is a piece that covers the whole i just havent found one yet. If it is all stock it will have the f134 engine, t90 tranny, dana 18 transfercase and danna 44 rear and dana 27 front if it is still stock, im diggin the hard top though!
Oh, I see it now. I thought that was a shadow from the snow! That's cool.
Unread 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
jranger35
1983 CJ7 

I'd say that the Jeep gods favor you, being that you found such a sweet Jeep as your first. Don't get overwhelmed, don't feel bad asking for help, and learn, learn, learn as much as you can. It's a passion for a lifetime if you have the right attitude.

As far as buying stuff, I've found that there is no "go-to" store for all things Jeep. It seems I buy from a different site than the last one almost every time. Just conduct your due diligence as far as research, investigate pricing, cutomer service needs if any, etc. Autozone has parts, rockauto has parts, quadratec has parts, ebay, amazon, the list goes on and on. You'll figure it out. Or you'll end up selling that sweet ride, which I hope you don't do...
jranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Theirs others that have that vintage of Jeep that know where to get parts.I'm sure they will tell you once they see your thread.Lot of parts are chinese and such made by Crown-Omix.The quality has been poor to fair.The hole is for a snorkel i believe i've seen a lot of them on the forum.This will bump you back to the top again.If no one replys ask again,these threads get buried pretty fast
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
ideafrog
1964 CJ5 

Thanks all - I appreciate the help, and I am sure that I will grow to depend on it! Ill take a look at the suppliers and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help identifying the components...I am really excited to join your ranks!

J

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.