First time buying a used engine. Advice? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > First time buying a used engine. Advice?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

id never buy a used engine without doing a compression test, cheap compression tester for about $20.00. you wont know what condition the bearings are in until you run it. take along the person that will be swapping the engine out for you so he can check it out. im sure he will have a compression tester.

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
teedubbaya

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duso02 View Post
rebuilt-jeep-engines.com
not a bad price and one hell of a warranty, 7yr/70K
Chiming in on an old thread here...
Ok, as a guy with very little time, and no experience rebuilding an engine (I do have a spare 258 on hand to learn with, but not much spare time), why wouldn't I buy an engine from these guys? $1200 (plus shipping and good warranty) for a 258 long block seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedubbaya View Post
Chiming in on an old thread here...
Ok, as a guy with very little time, and no experience rebuilding an engine (I do have a spare 258 on hand to learn with, but not much spare time), why wouldn't I buy an engine from these guys? $1200 (plus shipping and good warranty) for a 258 long block seems like a pretty good deal to me.
just tried their website and got a message they didn't have a 258 for jeep CJ7 (tried 83 and 85).
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you KNOW it to be recently rebuilt, on a vehicle of this age you're almost certainly buying a junk. Buy an engine for rebuild or buy a reman.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

If you aren't really concerned with a full stock jeep, I feel like the 4.0 swap is the way to go here (assuming that you want to stay with a I6).

Its a pretty simple swap, I did it with no experience whatsoever. I just followed the manual, watched a lot of youtube, and bent the ears (eyes?) of a lot of jeepforum members.

The only thing that really stumped me was the wiring. I went ahead and bought a new harness from Hesco that was a direct fit for my application. And after actually putting it on, I think I could've used the 4.0 harness and made it work with minimal effort.

You get the added power, fuel economy, and reliability of the 4.0 with fuel injection. Plus, parts are readily available. Not to mention, you can find an engine for a lot cheaper.

Just something to think about.

If you are pretty set on going back with a 258, disregard my comments.
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Tony,

Did you notice the 4.2L for 1981-85 at Jeep-Engines.com only has a one year warranty. It bothers me you can't find any information on the parts they use for their rebuilds.

Also, they have a core price of $399 and $179 for shipping. So, the total would be closer to $1900. If you send them your old engine, on your nickel, it would work out to about $1700.

I'd be seriously looking at the V8, if I were you.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #22
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

$1700 is serious change to keep a low horsepower low revving but good torque lump under the hood. I am all for maintaining these CJs as God and Jeep intended but the 4.0 I6 is such a superior development of the 258 that it cannot be ignored.

I am looking at acquiring a J20 / Gladiator, which over here only came with the I6, and the top of my list is an engine swap to the 4.0HO to get it going. Buying a second hand engine and having it fitted complete would cost around $2000 here.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
Duso02
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Tony,

Did you notice the 4.2L for 1981-85 at Jeep-Engines.com only has a one year warranty. It bothers me you can't find any information on the parts they use for their rebuilds.

Also, they have a core price of $399 and $179 for shipping. So, the total would be closer to $1900. If you send them your old engine, on your nickel, it would work out to about $1700.

I'd be seriously looking at the V8, if I were you.

Matt

Wrong website Matt.

www.rebuilt-jeep-engines.com has a 7/70 warranty, core is $150, shipping varies. They also list all the brands of parts they use to rebuild.

For me, I bought a rebuilt 258 for my son's '84 and total cost was $1500. I rebuilt my last one, but I just did not have the time to do it again. The core was not worth the cost of shipping back so I sold it locally for $200. Making my total a mere $1300 for the simplest swap possible. The cheapest shop rebuild was more then that so I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Duso02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.