first start help please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > first start help please.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 07-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
jetguy
1984 CJ7 

first start help please.

just put in a new engine (remaned) in. also just put in D.U.I. dizzy, and howell fuel injection.

I'm having a hard time getting the engine started (cant really get it started). the only way i can get it to fire off is to floor the accelerator. and then it dosnt run very well and dies in about 3 seconds. if i let off the accelerator it will die immediately.

can anyone help?

jetguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Sounds like your idle speed is set WAY too low....That's where I would start at least.

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Is the cam already broken in on the reman? If not, you need to get it up to 2000 rpm quickly once it fires and run it for about 30 minutes. You sure you got the dizzy installed correctly on TDC of compression stroke of #1 cylinder?
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
jetguy
1984 CJ7 

not sure on the cam. i would love to get to 2000 rpms for 30mins, but thats not happening right now.
dizzy is set right (0 deg tdc) i cant check the timing until i can get the cj running for more than 3 seconds. I suspect a vacuum leak might be my problem. anyone have tips on how to find vacuum leaks? read something about a propane wand?
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Is the cam already broken in on the reman? If not, you need to get it up to 2000 rpm quickly once it fires and run it for about 30 minutes. You sure you got the dizzy installed correctly on TDC of compression stroke of #1 cylinder?
Not just TDC of Compression stroke on #1,
But did he get the distributor rotor in pointing at #1,
Or did it slide around to the next cylinder in the firing order when the distributor seated?

The ONLY way to find out is to...

1. Locate #1 cylinder,

2. Remove Plug, and Locate COMPRESSION STROKE by manually putting your finger over the hole and detecting the piston coming up, (COMPRESSION STROKE).

If he used the balancer to find 'TDC', then there is a 50/50 chance he has the distributor in at TDC of exhaust stroke.

Once you have VERIFIED Compression Stroke On #1 Cylinder,

3. Use a Chop Stick, wooden dowel rod, soda straw to locate the top of the piston manually.
NO METAL IN THE PLUG HOLE!

Turn engine BY HAND until the piston reaches TDC, Top Dead Center, piston all the way at the top as near as you can tell...

4. Have a look at the 'Hash Mark' on the balancer.
See if it is at 'Zero' degrees or 'TDC' mark on the timing cover.

*IF* it is, then the balancer probably isn't lying.

*IF* it's NOT, then time for a new balancer! The outer ring has slipped on the hub and it's junk.

Now, if you...
VERIFIED COMPRESSION STROKE,
VERIFIED TDC MANUALLY,
VERIFIED THE BALANCER,

Then you can move to the distributor...

5. MARK THE LOCATION OF THE #1 Spark Plug Wire Terminal on the cap,
Mark that location on the distributor base housing,
So you know where #1 plug wire is when the cap is off.

6. Flip the cap, see if the rotor is pointing at the #1 mark you made on the distributor housing.

*IF* it's a few degrees off, usually FORWARD of the mark in the direction of rotation (Clockwise),
Then you dropped the distributor in one tooth too soon, you didn't back the rotor up enough before you dropped the distributor on the camshaft gear.

*IF* the rotor is 180 degrees or so out,
Meaning the rotor is more or less pointing away from the mark on the housing,
Then you had TDC of Exhaust Stroke when you dropped it on the camshaft gear.

*IF* the rotor is pointing at the mark you made, or slight before that mark, then the distributor is probably in the engine correctly and you have a different issue...

----------------

Bad Coil, Bad Module, No Proper Power Connections To The Distributor, Fuel Issues, Timing Chain Set Installed Incorrectly, ect.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
jetguy
1984 CJ7 

great write up on how to time! mine is set correctly. i think i will call a mobile mechanic to come check it out. fed up with jeep for now. wish i had a vacutech machine to check for leaks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.